Fighting off the cabin fever with my flintlock (video)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILoveMuzzleloading

Reaction score
Today I'm out with my friend Barry and my father Mike and we're shooting the Cabin Fever Challenge. For those of you unfamiliar, the cabin fever challenge was started by “rifle chair” as a way for shooting sports enthusiasts to get out in mid winter/early spring to have some fun with marksmen from around the globe.

This is some of the most fun I’ve had with my muzzleloaders in a while and offers a great challenge to newcomers and verterans of blackpowder alike.

I’m shooting my .40 cal Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle

Barry is shooting his original .69 cal Kammerlader

Mike is shooting his homemade .50 cal Isaac Haines-inspired flintlock rifle.

Since the start, the competition has grown and now includes 6 division, most recently .22 rimfire. Today my group is participating in the muzzleloader division, division 5.

In the muzzle loader division, we are tasked with shooting 1 shot standing, kneeling, prone, and sitting as fast as we can. Our target is an 8” bull set at 50 yards. Shots cutting the black bull, or in the black bull count as “hits” regardless of location in the bull. Scores are calculated by (Number of Hits) x5/ Time in seconds x 100.

As a bit of a match recap, I think I could have improved by making sure my gear was in order before started. You’ll notice I left my ball block on the bench out of arm’s reach. And then going into my 3rd shot, I lost my flint. Both of these errors really cut into the time portion of my score, but I’m pleased with the 3 hits out of 4 for my first attempt at this challenge. Shooting 50 yards in the cold wind like we were was a welcome challenge.

I tried to streamline my set up for a second run, but was only able to shave off a few seconds and had several less successful shots. Speed is fine, but accuracy is final.

As of publishing, there is still time to try this challenge for yourself and I hope that you do, even if you don’t submit for score. This was a lot of fun and gives me a lot of ideas for future muzzleloading matches. Do you think it’s possible to do a 3-Gun muzzleloading match?

That looks like fun. Got my first flinter coming soon so I'll have to give it a try.. it won't be a great looking custom, though. It'll be an off-the-shelf Deerstalker.

Only problem I can see is us old-timers might forget something in the rush and dry-ball or short start...or maybe have a seizure. I guess the caution would be to take a friend along to keep an eye on things.

That looks like fun. Got my first flinter coming soon so I'll have to give it a try.. it won't be a great looking custom, though. It'll be an off-the-shelf Deerstalker.

Only problem I can see is us old-timers might forget something in the rush and dry-ball or short start...or maybe have a seizure. I guess the caution would be to take a friend along to keep an eye on things.
I was thinking the same thing when watching Ethan’s video. Probably best to have someone watching as a peer check to catch any mistakes that could be cause for safety concerns. Does look fun though. I may have to give it a go next winter

I was thinking the same thing when watching Ethan’s video. Probably best to have someone watching as a peer check to catch any mistakes that could be cause for safety concerns. Does look fun though. I may have to give it a go next winter
It definitely helps to have an eye on safety. Definitely don’t recommend this to folks who aren’t thinking about safety

Hey brother if it shoots and you like it that’s all you need to worry about

I had a Thompson CenterHawken for years

it was a great little rifle

45 caliber flinter , took lots of deer , rabbit even one turkey and one coyote I saved up n saved up and got myself a semi custom 50 caliber flinter . It was made by Nathan Stevenson , it’s a great gun . but for all the money I spent on it : I thought to myself man that Thompson center 45 flinter shot just as good if not better!!!!

Today I'm out with my friend Barry and my father Mike and we're shooting the Cabin Fever Challenge. For those of you unfamiliar, the cabin fever challenge was started by “rifle chair” as a way for shooting sports enthusiasts to get out in mid winter/early spring to have some fun with marksmen from around the globe.

This is some of the most fun I’ve had with my muzzleloaders in a while and offers a great challenge to newcomers and verterans of blackpowder alike.

I’m shooting my .40 cal Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle

Barry is shooting his original .69 cal Kammerlader

Mike is shooting his homemade .50 cal Isaac Haines-inspired flintlock rifle.

Since the start, the competition has grown and now includes 6 division, most recently .22 rimfire. Today my group is participating in the muzzleloader division, division 5.

In the muzzle loader division, we are tasked with shooting 1 shot standing, kneeling, prone, and sitting as fast as we can. Our target is an 8” bull set at 50 yards. Shots cutting the black bull, or in the black bull count as “hits” regardless of location in the bull. Scores are calculated by (Number of Hits) x5/ Time in seconds x 100.

As a bit of a match recap, I think I could have improved by making sure my gear was in order before started. You’ll notice I left my ball block on the bench out of arm’s reach. And then going into my 3rd shot, I lost my flint. Both of these errors really cut into the time portion of my score, but I’m pleased with the 3 hits out of 4 for my first attempt at this challenge. Shooting 50 yards in the cold wind like we were was a welcome challenge.

I tried to streamline my set up for a second run, but was only able to shave off a few seconds and had several less successful shots. Speed is fine, but accuracy is final.

As of publishing, there is still time to try this challenge for yourself and I hope that you do, even if you don’t submit for score. This was a lot of fun and gives me a lot of ideas for future muzzleloading matches. Do you think it’s possible to do a 3-Gun muzzleloading match?

Nice Video Thanks

Back