Finally A Break In The Weather

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In August we have had at least 18 days with over 100F highs. One day it was 108F, we had several days at 103-106F. Yesterday morning it was raining and cool. Decided to go to the lease anyway. Filled the feeder, changed the chip in game camera and leveled the rickety blind. Got wet but it was worth it.

Some decent bucks hang out there. At 08:10 there was a big buck at the feeder. At 8:12 the buck was gone and a smaller deer was under the feeder. Two bucks were present.

GsWe6Fz.jpg

Hbrfj0w.jpg

F3X3Wds.jpg

In this state if you are hunting with the aid of a feeder your going to be fined, do it again and your going to jail.  Some areas (sections) allow it while others say no baiting. I know some states allow you to hunt with the aid of baiting but in some of the western states more and more are saying you can't.

How many of you guys are or aren't allowed to use bait (feeders) station to hunt over?

In this state if you are hunting with the aid of a feeder your going to be fined, do it again and your going to jail.

Baiting/Feeding deer is legal in Oklahoma.

i don't kill deer under or anywhere near feeders. While hog hunting from the nearby blind in deer season last fall i passed on a 170-180 class whitetail buck at that feeder. No one is allowed to kill deer at my feeders.

That feeder and another at a property in Garvin county run year around to supplement the diet of deer, especially does with fawns. Those feeders dispense about three pounds of corn, soybeans or black eyed peas per day. During the 2010-2015 drought my feeders saved the lives of many fawns.

Hogs get no such consideration. This year i've killed about 70 small pigs, seven or eight sows and several big boars at feeders.

Not legal in Idaho.  It's fine to bait during the off season, but there can't be any kind of bait near you when hunting.  Liquid scent attractants are all that is ok.
The big thing around here that people do is salt licks.  Every year during archery elk season I find new salt licks in my hunting area that are active.  There are no "natural" salt/mineral deposits in the state of Idaho, according to F&G folks, so they are all man made.  There are a ton of people that put out salt for the advantage it provides in keeping elk in an area when they hunt, I've found them in every single area I've elk hunted over the years.  They are really obvious once you're within a 100 or so yards of one, as the elk will have freeway trails going to it from every direction.  Some of them are ridiculous, as they are right off the edge of a logging road or have beaten down atv trails going right to them.  Tells you how lazy they are.  I've found some that even have treestands and blinds on them, which is pretty bold.  There's no talking their way out of that if they get caught.
Salt will dissolve into the ground and the deer and elk will paw and lick the ground to get it, salt licks stay baited for a long time due to it dissolving.  I've seen some that were refreshed every year for several years that get so hollowed out that they look like a small pond after a rain storm.

falcon said:
In this state if you are hunting with the aid of a feeder your going to be fined, do it again and your going to jail.

Baiting/Feeding deer is legal in Oklahoma.  

i don't kill deer under or anywhere near feeders.   While hog hunting from the nearby blind in deer season last fall i passed on a 170-180 class whitetail buck at that feeder.   No one is allowed to kill deer at my feeders.    

That feeder and another at a property in Garvin county run year around to supplement the diet of deer, especially does with fawns.   Those  feeders dispense about three pounds of corn, soybeans or black eyed peas per day.    During the 2010-2015 drought my feeders saved the lives of many fawns.  

Hogs get no such consideration.   This year i've killed about 70 small pigs, seven or eight sows and several big boars at feeders.    

Hogs are a plague, we don't have them in Idaho thankfully. 
I remember several years ago some rancher had a bunch of hogs on a place he was renting.  He for whatever reason decided to move and instead of selling the hogs he just opened the gate and let them go and then took off.  It didn't take long for the hogs to kind of go feral.  The F&G made it very public and encouraged folks to go shoot them, no license needed.  Didn't want them to be the start of our own feral hog population.  Thankfully they were taken care of right away, people were all over getting some free hog meat to put in the freezer.

Renegadehunter said:
Not legal in Idaho.  It's fine to bait during the off season, but there can't be any kind of bait near you when hunting.  Liquid scent attractants are all that is ok.
The big thing around here that people do is salt licks.  Every year during archery elk season I find new salt licks in my hunting area that are active. 
Some of the old timers use Purina Omolene Horse Chow, deer and elk love this stuff and DOW hasn't figured this one out yet. I have had the deer dig a foot hole deep going after the molasses.

[align=justify]What is in Purina Omolene: Whole Grains are a natural source of antioxidants, phytonutrients and fiber. Instead of using straight cane molasses which is high in sugar, Purina:registered: Omolene <a href='/tags/200' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #200'>#200</a>:registered: Horse Feed contains a unique blend of molasses and soy oil for a higher fat molasses that horses love to eat.[/align]

Back