Finally a sensible editorial...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkitoff1

Reaction score
For a few months "Hunting" magazine has been showing up in my mailbox. I did not subscribe but it comes anyway so I am thankful for the material. October issue has a nice editorial about "getting close to nature" like the old days. The Editor points out how advertising of the past shows "a grizzly charging on a narrow cliff", "a moose running right past the hunter" and other close-encounters with game. While the editor is not critical of long-range hunting, he does encourage people to get back to using hunting skills instead of technology to connect with nature and get more out of a hunt. There is a hint of stalking, treestands, lever-actions and open sights but he stops short of mentioning traditional muzzleloaders. I personally hope the trend of long-range hunting is fading. I do not allow my own teenage sons to use scopes, "high-powered" cartridges and technology assisted methods. I have them using archery and muzzleloader with the premise being to use personal skills and knowledge and take whatever animal presents itself that you desire regardless of size. So far it is paying off in that they are not impressed with their friends kills that may be bigger or have more points and they are quick to point out that shooting several hundred yards from an elevated box with a rest and scope is something nearly anyone can accomplish. They brag about getting 25-yards or less from an animal on the ground and taking it with an arrow or open sighted traditional muzzleloader. Whether this sticks or not time will tell. Nonetheless, the editorial was refreshing. Most all the ads in the magazine are for high powered scopes with rangefinding reticles, wind meters, rangefinders and long-range cartridges and rifles.

It's a lost cause. I think 90% or more muzzleloader hunters use scoped inlines now.

Those of us that like to get close to the game are a dying breed.

Here Squirrels are open almost year round. I wish kids would just Small Game Hunt but it is all about Deer hunting anymore.

Some things I just can’t do anymore. This will be the fifth Hunting season I have set out.

oneshot

You're right Sparkitoff.   Close encounters with big game will provide the hunter with the greatest of challenges and a true test of skills.  While wind alone can certainly offer the long range hunter a respectable challenge...wind, smell and movement are ALL especially critical when you want to get up close and personal.  I still take some pride in my longest firearm whitetail at 235 yards.  After that I didn't consider myself a good hunter until I successfully hunted with the traditional bow...  my closest harvest being a 7 yard shot on a whitetail from a ground stand.
Your sons will become great hunters. ;)

Dad always laughed at me letting Deer get close enough to touch them before shooting them.

oneshot

even my "modern" rifles are set up for closer encounters with game. A sporterized 1917 Enfield with a leo 1.5x5 and a sporterized 98 Mauser in 257Roberts with a Pentax 1.75x5. My preference is my longbow or my old front stuffer. Getting close is half the fun and excitement for me. Now I can't say the same for varmints. I use a 22-250 on those most of the time with a target scope. But then I don't really put much of an effort into hunting varmints and rodents.

oneshot 1 said:
Dad always laughed at me letting Deer get close enough to touch them before shooting them.

oneshot
Try getting that close to elk or buffalo, now that makes you give yourself away with sweating ...   :lol!:

I find elk easy to get close to. Now, a mature muley buck is another question. Those old boys are smart.

Last night on the local news in Park City Utah a yearling bull elk had become to friendly letting people pet him, hug him, kids sitting on him whether standing or laying down. The game warden said they would move him to the wilderness for his own good so some one didn't take advantage of his friendliness and shoot him.

That's funny. Here I never see elk in town unless they're running for their life on the way to and from the winter range.

Deer, on the other hand, are everywhere here in town. Dumbass people feed them and they get tame. No mature bucks though. All does and very young bucks.

Back