Finally : moose in Vermont

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nugbuk

Reaction score
Got an envelope today. Going hunting in October. :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D

Congrats on the draw

What were the odds of drawing, and how high is the success rate on that hunt? What's the method? Muzzleloader I hope.Hope you kill a biggun!

Congrats on the draw!!!

Like your avatar, is that an OT Loon your sittin in?

Re: Congrats on the draw

MObigbucks said:
What were the odds of drawing, and how high is the success rate on that hunt? What's the method? Muzzleloader I hope.Hope you kill a biggun!
Thanks,
I do not know the odds of drawing. But we called one guide who hunts in the same unit, and he draw his permit this year also. He said his first ever. My guess is odds are small considering that I?m nonresident.
From last year numbers hunters had 61% success rate.
Moose can be taken by bow, ML, rifle and shotgun. I?m not sure what I?ll be hunting with. Probably Encore-SMI if I develop load and have confidence in that gun, and as back up I?ll take 376Steys or 358Norma Mag.

I didn't know Vermont even HAD moose for Pete's sake! Do they have good ones? How are you going to hunt them?

Congrats Nug!!!!!! Hope you get a nice one.

I used to vacation at hortonia lake. They had a nice Moose population just north of that lake. But their biggest population was in the north eastern part of the state at that time. Which area will you be hunting?

Nug has graciously listed me as a subpermittee on this endeavor. We will be tag teaming Alces alces in Unit E2 in the Northeastern portion of the state. Essex County I believe..... Lyndonville is the town we will be tentatively staying in. Chuck these North Eastern moose are Canada moose sub species and although not reknowned for trophy quality they are fairly abundant in the unit Nug drew. A few scouting trips in late Sept. and early Oct. and we will be able to formulate a game plan. From past experiences I'm pretty sure we will be glassing clear cuts and beaver swamp flowages, Tamarack swamps and the like. I'm told of a local gentleman with a team of Belgian horses.... for $200 he'll come and drag your mosse out :shock: 8)

Congradulations. I was fortunate enough to take two moose in New England, both with handguns. The biggest issue will be after the shot, all that work .

But don't underestimate the ability of moose to be wary. A lot of people view moose as stupid. The best term that comes to mind is Bullwinkle. That may have been true in the past when the seasons first started but the dumb ones have been shot out. Now they are acting more like a whitetail and you need to be aware of that. If it was such a pushover the sucess rate would be 100%.

Latest posts

Back