Finning.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSalyards

Reaction score
How loose or tight should your sprue plate be? I have another new mould and with the least bit of tension I get a slight bit of finning on the back of the bullet. Never ran into this before. Any thoughts ? I like them loose but not sloppy. Gonna weigh the bullets after they cool and see what they say.

Take off the sprue plate and ink the inside of it, do a couple of figure eights on a piece of 400 sand paper coated lightly with WD40 and placed on something flat. That will tell you if the sprue plate is flat. I don’t ever get that at the sprue. Occasionally I get a little in the parting lines if I get things too hot, and don’t concentrate on grip tension. I use a 1/4” thick sprue plate also. The thinner ones could warp a little when they get hot, maybe that’s causing it.

Its a brand new mold by one of the more popular mold makers but my first from him. I have never had this either. Temp was 775 and bullets dropped within .5 of a grain .

Are you Ladle Casting this one? Are you Compression Pouring? I get that sometimes as well with Certain Molds when i Compression Cast. Some Molds React VERY Well to Compression, and Some Don’t. I find that i get my SHARPEST Bullets Compression Casting, And i try to Cast this way with ALL of my Molds since i get the Best Fill Out, But sometimes a Certain Mold Just Won’t Allow me to Cast that way

Latest posts

Back