First blackpowder kill with Omega and Black Mag 3

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newhunter1

Reaction score
Ok, I've been shooting black mag 3 now for 2 years (I think) and I love it. Today was the opening day for Illinois Blackpowder season and I scored on my first deer with the Omega. When I went to the range I had a great time getting my rifle sighted in for 100 yards, 110 grains of BM3 and a 330 grain extreme elite from Precision bullets. I remember at the range that I had to really concentrate on not flinching as my combo was beginning to make me really feel it.

I also remember someone on here saying that when you sight down the rifle you won't even feel the kick when you shoot a deer...that someone was right. I felt like I was shooting my .22 as I focused on my target.

The 330 grain bullet was probably traveling at 1900+ fps and the deer was only 65 yards away. I watched a heard of does about 100 yards away and knew that they would come across the ridge and offer a better target and sure enough they did. They came in behind me and I had one doe blow, but the buck was looking around as to why...thats when I touched off the round. The buck was facing me and I put the crosshairs right between his shoulder and his chest and it really put a wallop on him. He did 2-3 360's and the blood was literrally pouring out.

Upon inspection I destroyed one lung, and the bullet stopped in the stomach. I decided not to put my hand in there to locate the bullet...there is only so much that I'll try and do. Anyway, here's the picture of when I got home of me and my two year old son.

2006-12-09098.jpg
[/img]

That's a real nice buck. Sounds like the bullet combination really did a number. You and your future hunting partner there look like you have a lot of good eating ahead of you this winter. Congratulations.

Thanks for the replies and for those of you who have helped and answered my many questions. Looking forward to getting more BM3 and working further with the combo. I'm tagged out for bucks in Illinois and have one last archery tag to fill...I'll try and do it with my longbow. So far I've gotten four deer so I should be good for the winter. If I do however get another one then that will be just gravy...so to speak.

paul

Paul, Congrats. on getting your deer with the muzzloader. It looks like you got to play in the snow also. :applause:

congratualtions on your deer

Before you know it your 2 year old will be hunting with you and you will become his "guide". :D

You shoot a good bullet and those frontal shots will always be "dead right there."

Good luck with your long bow

Choc-dog

When the ice storm hit I went out two day later and had to leave because of all the trees falling. Plus i couldn't see a thing with the sun reflecting off the ice. As far as being Aslan's guide...I can't wait. I will more than gladly just watch as he takes his first...be it withe a bow (hopefully), shotgun or muzzleloader. It will be one of my proudest days.

Paul

Latest posts

Back