First Blood with the Encore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethang

Reaction score
I spent the whole summer trying to find a good shooting long range load for my Encore. I have one property where a 150 yard shot is likely. Spent a TON of money, had alot of fun doing it.
Well, shootable deer have been scarce this season and after hunting hard for 2 weeks I finally had a nice doe present a shot. She came from downwind through the thickest area on the property with a much smaller yearling in front of her. The first snow of the year was falling last night, weather was perfect. She showed herself to me at less the 30 yards. The 250 shockwave behind three pyro pellets took her right behind the shoulder. She went about 25 yards and piled up right next to the driveway. The shot blew out both lungs and the top of the heart. Great blood trail, massive exit wound, no wasted meat, no dragging.
If I could have reloaded quicker I could have taken another nice doe who was behind her. She stopped about 100 yards away while I was reloading, but ran off before I could reprime.

Ethan

sheephunterab said:
Congratulations Ethan....what load were you shooting?

250 grain ShockWave and 3 pyrodex pellets with a MMP HPH 12 sabot.
I tried various different bullet and charge combos this summer and this load dosn't shoot any better or worse then anything else. I have not had a chance to look at the holes in the daylight, but from gutting it last night there was alot of internal damage. the heart/lung area was just mush.

I was suprised that it didn't shoot any worse then lower powered loads. I tried a bunch of 100-120 grains with many different bullets and finally gave up. It seems to do the job well.

Yes, both my Encore and Omega shoot equally well with 100 grain and 150 grain loads. The recoil doesn't bother me and I like the extra range the load offers so I shoot the 150 grain load.

Latest posts

Back