First Buck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquastang

Reaction score
Well, I spent all summer scouting a piece of bottom ground by the river just about 5 miles from home. Sometime around the late July, I was sitting in the tree line along one side of a bean field and saw a bachelor group of four bucks cross the bean field on their way to the corn field on the other side. It was pretty exciting to see four bucks in felt together and all had racks of different size! There were 4, a 6, an 8, and a 10 point.

I decided that it was best to keep my distance after this encounter, but still keep an eye on things. So, a couple times a week I would go out and sit in some trees by a field gate about 400 yards from where I saw the bucks. The wind was always in my favor since they crossed the fence row to my southeast. I would occasionally see the group and as the summer wore on I got to watch them rubbing felt in the trees along the bean field?quite a display!

My son was 14 years old and we purchased a youth season tag for him. He was excited to go out and shoot my old Knight LK-93. I had him work with my usual load in that gun which is a 240 gr. XTP on 100 gr. of 777. We spent hours at the range and I must admit he is a pretty good shot.

We went out during youth season and set up behind a fallen tree in the fence row so that the bucks would be crossing the beans about 50 to 80 yards in front of us. Of course, after all the scouting, we saw nothing. The mosquitoes drove us crazy when there was not breeze and all we saw was a couple of does. So, we would have to try it again during the early muzzle season. I was sure this spot would produce.

On the first weekend of early muzzle season, we went out for a Sunday afternoon hunt after church. There was 10 mph breeze from the southwest and the temperature that day was around 60 degrees. We set up in the same spot and waited. With about 40 minutes left in the day, I glanced down the tree line and saw motion about 200 yards off. Yep, it was our bucks..but this time only 3. They worked their way up the fence row toward our setup. About 80 yards away, they veered into the bean field and started to cross right in front of us! The 8-point led the way and I could tell my son was focused on him. I whispered in his ear to wait for the 10-point to get in the shooting window. Sure enough, the 8- point stopped about 20 yards into the field and the 10-point walked past him and continued on. I couldn?t believe how well this was working out! I think I was more excited than my son!!

The 10-point continued on and when he got in the shooting window, my son bleated at him and he stopped. BANG! Smoke filled the air. I saw the buck jump and then he ran a half circle away from us, digging his rack into the ground as he went. 30 yards or so into his run he stopped, swayed, and fell over! After congratulating the boy and settling myself down, I stepped off the shot?.85 yards give or take.

We field dressed the buck, being careful to leave plenty of cape. The shot was well placed taking out the top half of the heart and leaving almost no meat damage.

I don?t know that I will ever enjoy a hunt or be more proud of a deer taken than this one. He resides on the wall in the family room as a reminder of a great Sunday afternoon in October! :D :D :D

scan0001.jpg

That is a great buck. And a good load. I have an LK but never tried that much powder in it. But mine shoots excellent also.

cayuga said:
That is a great buck. And a good load. I have an LK but never tried that much powder in it. But mine shoots excellent also.

I have another LK that we don't shoot that much powder in, but 100 is where this one happened to group best at with the XTP. I'm not stuck on the XTP necessarily, but it has taken a lot of deer out of my LK's.

Yep, it is awesome to have the youth season in Iowa. No hunting pressure at that time, just a chance to introduce the younger generation to muzzleloading. My best friend has twin boys and we will be taking them out for the first time this next youth season. Can't wait!

Very nice first buck, I can remember mine. He was only a little spicke!!! Congrats.

You've ruined your son for life! :wink: I killed my first buck when I was 14 - an 8 point - and in the 37 years since, I have hunted in several states of the USA, as well as Africa, Australia and Asia.

Like they used to say: Go hunting with your kid, or you'll go hunting your kid.

Congratulations, and thanks for a great story.

Sorry I missed this last year--Congratulations :applause: :applause:

Excellent buck! I remember my first one, he wasn't near that big. Thank you for a very nice report.

Latest posts

Back