First day of fishing season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Started at 530am today! My nephew and I went online last night and bought our tags, got the fishing rods and tackle ready and then woke up bright and early, headed over to North Lake, a good hour drive away. Fishing was extremely slow this morning and rather than get annoyed, we packed the truck back up and drove over to an area where we park and then hike up into the mountains. We rock climbed for almost 3 hours, found some new spots that left me shaking in fear, got into some real tight spots where you actually had to unhook your belt buckle in order to have enough room to squeeze through. It was pretty darn scary in some areas.

After that we went back down but the wind started up. My nephew actually got the first fish on land and then i followed up, he got another and then i reeled in a good sized trout. We left with 5 total, so we were extremely happy with the first time out on the lake. Going to restring the reels tonight as my line snapped twice with the old stuff on it. $10 down the drain in lures :cry:

Before I cook the fish i will take a picture of them.

I went fishing too. I went to the Arkansas River which takes me 2 minutes to get to. I used nymphs, and caught some nice size brown trout. Pretty fun.

I do C&R though, so no fish supper.

Always fun to get out fishing. I've learned the hard way too to change my line at least once a year. Old fishing line that's been used weakens knots, develops twists and spool memory which shortens casts. Nothing worse than losing your favorite lures on a break-off :x

What kind of trout were you fishing for in North Lake...brook , rainbows or browns :?:

We normally cut at least 3-6m of line off after every fishing trip. The tigers and breams are hard on fishing line

It's funny to see that there is a fishing season. Down here there is no closed freshwater season. There are some saltwater species that have have variable seasons that depend on abundance of the species but it's OK to fish for them anyway; you just have to release them.
Being over 65, I don't have to buy a hunting or fishing license and can still apply for limited areas/hunts. :Shh:

No fishing season here. Jon meant it was the first day he went this year. We fish all year here.

yep, just our first day to go fishing. The water is still freezing, so that may have slowed the action down quite a bit. I dont know how the hell my dog could stand the ice cold water he was in.

Spitfire, same here, bag limit at least. Some of the other fish do have size limits.

Jon i suppose there must be some measures as people will catch things into extinction if not controlled

Latest posts

Back