First groups with IMR-4198...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
I was able to get to the range a little while yesterday... I had weighed out some charges straight out of Savage Brothers book :lol: , 60gr for 300gr bullets and 65gr for 250gr bullets...

I shot groups at 100yds using Savage #4-a stainless/laminate with a 3.5-10X44 Conquest and Savage #5-a blue/composite with a VX-III 3.5-10X40. All groups were shot using a MMP HPH-24 sabot, CCI 209 primers, and a PR Bullet .030 ventliner...

Savage #4 really like the 300gr Bonded Shockwaves:

2006rangepics%20013.jpg

...while Savage #5 really liked the 250gr Bonded Shockwaves:

2006rangepics%20015.jpg

2006rangepics%20016.jpg

Curious that Savage #4 would not shoot the 250gr nor would Savage #5 shoot the 300gr worth a FLIP!

Velocity data:
ALL 250gr 65gr IMR-4198 loads averaged 2345fps.
ALL 300gr 60gr IMR-4198 loads averaged 2182fps.

I really like the 60gr/300gr combo but I'm going up a notch in charge weight for the 250gr bullet. I'm thinking 67gr/250gr. It's going to be hard to beat the N-110/250gr combo..

One less these days since he just sold one off the board. :lol:

Chuck I noticed both groups with #5 were in a vertical string. Does that seem common with that particular rifle? What do you think is the cause? I am not looking at shooter error as being the cause here. I normally would but considering that you generally shoot groups off a great bench/rest combo, the distance of 100 yds, and I know you would certainly be able to detect that much vertical movement prior to the shot, I don't think that the shooter is the cause at all. Reason for my inquiry is that I have seen this before with my own Savage shooting. Certain loads/certain guns. I have not been able to determine why though. It is a bit confusing as this phenoma seems to come and go, and honestly I have not been able to duplicate it often enough with any particular combo to isolate it. Also I generally am confident enough of my shooting to change things rather quickly when I am testing so I have not worked this out. Quite frankly sometimes I get in too big of a hurry changing things to get the results I am looking for before I am able to determine the exact cause of such occurences. Once I did have this happen consistently with a particular rifle with a Leupold Vari X III , but did determine that the elevation was moving in that particular scope. However that is not the only gun I saw it with, the others just were not doing it so often, as that scope when it started doing it, never quit. What are your thoughts on this?

big6x6 said:
It's going to be hard to beat the N-110/250gr combo..

That's for sure! That is a tough combo to beat in the Savage!

Chuck I noticed both groups with #5 were in a vertical string. Does that seem common with that particular rifle? What do you think is the cause?

Yeah I was noticing that too. That's not a characteristic of that rifle but may very well be for that LOAD. I figure 65gr 4198 is kinda on the low end for use with a 250gr bullet. I was gonna try 67gr and see if that might help sort it out..

How many of them Savages you have there Chuck?

Right now I'm down to three TOTAL! :D If everything goes as planned, and it SHOULD, I'll probably have another for sale in a few months.

I shot some groups last week with IMR4198 and H4198 with both 250gr and 300gr Bonded Shockwaves. I've kind of settled on a hunting load with the 250gr bullet and 71grs of IMR4198 with a Fed 209 primer. It produces acceptable accuracy for hunting along with decent velocity. With this load I was able to shoot a nice buck this year.

Last week I shot IMR4198 starting at 65grs with the 300gr Bonded Shockwave and moved up to 68grs where I found the best accuracy. With H4198 and the same bullet, both of my groups exihibited shot stringing.

Greg

I am certainly going to try 67gr IMR-4198 with the 250gr Bonded Shockwave on my next range trip...may go to 62gr with the 300gr as well...

What sabot are ya'll using?

some good stuff huh chuck,
you know i have been shooting imr and h-4198 for over 3 years now. its hard to beat in the 10 ml.
you should have listened to us back then.
sb

I been using the supplied sabots. I've also tried the MMP HPH12 and HPH24. I really haven't noticed a preference. I have noticed that above 68grs of IMR4198 with the 300gr bullet the sabot bases were really starting to become stressed. With the MMP HPH12 sabot, loading is difficult in my gun.

Greg

Thanks Deernut! 6br.com is a GREAT site!

Speaking of 6BRs...The rifle CLOSEST to you in the pic IS a 6BR!

varmintrifles%20007.jpg

Latest posts

Back