First Muzzleloader, thinking knight UL

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

This will be my first muzzeloader but not the first time I've used one (buddy had a TC Triumph Bone Collector). I've been reading the forums and doing my research, and I'm leaning towards a knight ultra-lite. I just have a couple concerns.

The first one is the recoil. My wife will be using this gun and she weighs probably 100 pounds. It being such a light gun I'm not sure if shooting it will scare her. I'll obviously try to use less powder, I'm still a little nervous for her. What are your thoughts?

Also, this will be used mainly in states that don't allow optics, so i will end up putting on a williams peep sight. On Knights website it gives you the option Without Sights (no drilled holes and tapped holes with no sights) with the other option being With Sights (drilled and tapped holes with sights installed). I assume i need the latter, but thats almost a 500 dollar charge just to have the holes drilled. Is that correct? I'm not a gunsmith so i don't know what that takes to do that, but that seems kind of expensive.

My last concern, and i apologize for the novel, is getting a hold of customer service. I found a number for them and its just a recording telling you to email them. I did email them with no response (granted it was only 24 hours ago). I just think its weird that i can't talk to a representative over the phone and ask my questions. It makes me question whether or not i should even buy from them.

Thank you for reading and if you have any input or advice, I'm all ears.

Knight makes a great product. I think that’s a good choice. Recoil should be manageable for her if you keep the bullet and powder charge in the lighter range. Yes, you’ll want it drilled/tapped for sights. That does sound excessively expensive for added sights (especially since you will likely want to replace them with something else). I assume that all you’re getting for that extra $585 is a set of open sights and a front sight hole. You could always get the base model with scope base holes and have a gunsmith drill/tap for a front sight. That should cost about $75-$100. If it were me, I’d throw out the OEM sights anyway and put a peep and Western Precision front fiber optic globe on it.

Maybe someone who has an Ultra-Lite can chime in and advise you on the factory screw hole pattern/sights.

I guess i never even considered a traditional side lock. I didn't even know they made a bolt action till a couple weeks ago. I was originally considering a CVA accura but I've read a lot of negative things about the CVA. I don't want to start too low end because I'd be out even more money when I decided to upgrade. And although I'll mostly use open sights, i might put a scope on if i draw a state that allows it.

As far as going 50 cal, I decided on that because my understanding is the bullets are more available with more options. I'm not dead set on it being a 50 cal, though.

I've read so much the last couple weeks so i forgot where I read it, but I think I heard if you have someone else drill the holes it would void the warranty. I'd ask knight but like i said before, I can't get a hold of them, which makes me consider going a different direction just out of principle. I'll give them some more time and hopefully I'll get some answers.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the responses.

I would definitely consider something else. For some reason I thought when I looked up the Woodmans they were super expensive. I'll start doing some research on them, but if you don't mind, are you able to share what you like about them? At first glance they look a lot different. Are they better/worse than knights in any way?

In the description for the Olive green Ultra lite it said -also available in Western ready version.
Yeah, their advertising is confusing to me. There’s really no such thing as a standard “western” muzzy configuration. I guess what people are referring to is a muzzy that would be legal in any western state - percussion cap ignition and open sights. Of course you’d be handicapped in most western states with that set up as there are only a couple states that are that restrictive.

I was originally considering a CVA accura but I've read a lot of negative things about the CVA.

I have had an Accura V2 50 cal for several years and have shot a truck load of deer with it. No problems whatever. I think if people avoid the newer souped up models and stay with V2 models they'll have a whole lot fewer problems. This gun can easily be fitted with a plug and firing pin conversion that takes the #11 caps instead of primers to make it western legal. The barrels do need drilling for open sights but then the Knight you're looking at does too.

My Accura V2 shoots T7 3f identical to BH209, charge for charge and 300 grain bullets are a non-issue.

I think I'd search out some of the sale sites and try to find a V2 Accura. Its a fine gun.... accurate as all get out and dependable.

I checked out woodman and I liked what I saw. How audible is the click when you're closing it to set the firing pin? The one thing knight has on his is it seems super easy to buy a conversion kit to make the gun "western".

Knight has what I'm looking for in 45 cal for 1100 bucks (sights drilled and everything). Like i said before, i was steering away from 45 because i was under the impression 50 cal was just more readily available (and some states require it for elk, which i can just hunt with a bow or rifle to be honest). What do you guys think? I know people are getting great performance out of the 45.

I bought one of those knight cheap in lines and feel like it’s a sweet modern MZ. Maybe I have low expectations but am impressed with it and the quality of the results from shooting it with 90 or 120 grains of pelletized powder.

Vision model.

I checked out woodman and I liked what I saw. How audible is the click when you're closing it to set the firing pin? The one thing knight has on his is it seems super easy to buy a conversion kit to make the gun "western".

Knight has what I'm looking for in 45 cal for 1100 bucks (sights drilled and everything). Like i said before, i was steering away from 45 because i was under the impression 50 cal was just more readily available (and some states require it for elk, which i can just hunt with a bow or rifle to be honest). What do you guys think? I know people are getting great performance out of the 45.
A .45 is a fantastic choice, but .50 is much more versatile. Personally, I have .40, .45, .50, and .58. The Patriot wouldn’t be percussion capable but the Knight would be easy to make so.

As for percussion ignition, there are only three western states that require it, if I’m not mistaken - Idaho, Oregon and Montana (heritage season).

A .45 is a fantastic choice, but .50 is much more versatile. Personally, I have .40, .45, .50, and .58. The Patriot wouldn’t be percussion capable but the Knight would be easy to make so.

As for percussion ignition, there are only three western states that require it, if I’m not mistaken - Idaho, Oregon and Montana (heritage season).

The difference between what I want in the 50 vs the 45 is $532, for essentially a hole drilled into the muzzle. Because like you said, I'm not going to use the sights that will come with it. I need to get a gun and get it all figured out before my wife's hunt in September, so I have a little bit of time, but I feel like i need to make a decision no later than Monday. The world we live in today with supply chain issues, I get nervous about waiting too long.

Thank you everyone for the input. I've been hitting this forum hard the last couple weeks and everyone seems cool and friendly. You've got a great community here.

Latest posts

Back