First Ohio Buck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fender62

Reaction score
Took my first Ohio buck with my new CVA Optima V2 last week. This was only the forth time I had shot this rifle, 3 at the range to zero the scope and then the kill shot! I used 245gr Powerbelt Hollow Points, 2 Triple Seven 50/50 pellets and Winchester Triple Seven 209 primer. This rascal stepped out with a doe at about 65yds and I didn't give him time to change his mind about leaving.

Attachments

• Deer.jpg
    Deer.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 958
congratulations... how well did the powerbelt perform?

cayuga said:
congratulations... how well did the powerbelt perform?

I was very pleased with the performance of the Powerbelt. The deer was on a rise above me and facing to my right, his left, quartering towards me. My shot was well placed in the area of the heart and lungs. The round did not pass through the deer after penetrating, rather it traveled along the opposite interior rib cage and caused serious damage all the way.

I will say this, after I shot I wasn't sure I hit the deer. After the smoked cleared I seen the doe run but not the buck. I was kicking myself the whole time I got down from my stand and started walking up to where I shot him. Of course he wasn't right there and my heart sank. So I started walking the way the doe ran, which was towards a thicket. Just as was about to give into my worse fears, I saw him, about 50yrds from where I shot him. :mrgreen:

Congratulations. A good way to break in a new rifle is to get a kill with it. Gives confidence.

Fender62 said:
Took my first Ohio buck with my new CVA Optima V2 last week. This was only the forth time I had shot this rifle, 3 at the range to zero the scope and then the kill shot! I used 245gr Powerbelt Hollow Points, 2 Triple Seven 50/50 pellets and Winchester Triple Seven 209 primer. This rascal stepped out with a doe at about 65yds and I didn't give him time to change his mind about leaving.

Always nice to get a deer with a new gun. great job

Back