first range session with the apex

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corey012778

Reaction score
got out to the range for the first time for over a month. man did I feel rusty.
I shot powerbelts with 80grs of pyro rs, started out with 195gr AT for the main sight in, (FG sent them with the gun) about 10in low at 50yrds. I was getting pissed by this point and about to leave. jumped over to the 25yrd line and got them in about inch or 2 high dead center. moved back to the 50yrd line 2in low, 3 group shot of 2in by the time I shot them out.

stop buy an gun shop on the way to the range and picked up some powerbelt 275gr hp did a little sighting, best group with them where 1.5in 3 shots, my last 3 shots end up dead center but my first hit the top of the paper, 2nd was about 2in below that one and the last was an mm from the bottom of the bulls.

over all, with not shooting for over an month, never shooting this gun, and finding the sweetspot on the rest until the last 6 shoots, not an bad day.
thinking of picking up some tc packed xtps and using them to fine tune the scope. lot less cost then the powerbelts but powerbelts are going to be the main bullet from this one, a promise I made to the FG when I bought from it from him. I really like the gun, about 1 or 2 more session to get use to it. I shoot on avg 24 to 30 rounds per session.

Win apex 45cal
cci 209m
mtm sight and clean rest
80grs of pyro rs
powerbelt 195 AT and powerbelt 275gr hp.

You have to take atleast 1 deer with it and the 275 AT! I want to see how the bullet and load performs. I had a really hard time catching the bullet in my sand trap.

I am going to end up using plats, found an place that sales them for the same price as coppers. just gotta use a day off and go there.

223 or 300? We've already seen Lanes 300/ 120g load and what it did :lol: I wouldnt recommend that one unless it has a huge set of antlers and you dont mind some missing meat.

223, may play with 300grs, if for some reason I get an chance to go after elk or bear. yes there are elk in VA SW part of the state, can hunt them at anytime during deer season, counts as a deer tag but just one. :lol:

wow! I did not know that. Thats pretty cool that they'd allow you to use a deer tag on an elk.

frontier gander said:
wow! I did not know that. Thats pretty cool that they'd allow you to use a deer tag on an elk.

That's because they are Kentucky Elk, and Virginia don't want 'em.

they do that because elk are in KY and they rearly cross into va, I have yet to hear of anyone getting one. just in case the state allows it. but you have to keep it intact and have it tested for cdw.

Latest posts

Back