Floating an omega barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
i have been reading a few post about this. tried running a dollar bill down the barrel, no chance, the stock is tight up against the barrel. i have the black synthetic stock. can you sand down a synth. stock or should i try washers of some sort? the gun is accurate now but why not improve alittle if i can, might as well, got 11 months to tinker before next season. any help would be great pics too if availible.

03mossy

Really it is pretty easy job - you can do it the long way by sanding the barrel channel until you can pass the $ bill down the length or you can shim the barreled action up and accomplish the same thing. But, the is a weakness in the black synthetic stock... the lug pockets are very shallow and the can be fractured by recoil.

This thread on another site might help you...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx ... s&#2307179

If you can not get to it let me know....

sabotloader

Any chance you could post the deminsions of the wooden block you added to your Omega? I raelly appreciate you and your help to lot of people including me about ML. Another question is which sabot do you use with the Nosler 260 Bullet. A

oldwun

Another question is which sabot do you use with the Nosler 260 Bullet

I have an older Omega SS - it does not have the vent hole out the bottom under the breech plug. My barrels does not seem as tight as others, so I can use HPH-24's or regular Harvesters. I prefer the 24, I am also able to load a .458 Nosler 300 grain partition in a MMP Orange HPH-.485/50 sabot. BUT! I do keep a HPH-3p in the quick loader for that quick?? second shot if needed.

mike

Well i floated my omega today. the synthetic stuff is easy to sand\remove material. I will let you know if there is an improvment in accuracy.

I have the camo synthetic on mine with the same problem with the marks showing up on the barrel. What grit paper should I use to do this?

I used 80 grit screen cloth wrapped around a socket. It took it down fast and easy. However, i would be careful with the camo, cause one scratch and it is done. good luck.

My Omega is touching almost full length of the stock and I've been shooting 1/2" 100 yds groups off the bench (posted the targets here). I have the shiny line on the barrel that gives it away. I bench rest between the screws but did shoot off the stock a few times with no change in POI. I didn't want to screw up a good thing so this stock stays 'as is'. I want a wood stock in the future and will bed that one just because it seems like the right thing to do. I may be wrong, but believe that these .50 fluted barrels don't whip as much as rifle barrels at detonation so all this effort may not be necessary to shoot sub MOA.

Back