Food Plots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pocampo

Reaction score
Which seed seems to work the best? Every manuf. claims their seed to be superior to others. It seems to be pretty much all the same if you compare ingredients of same seed types. I have limited experience and wanted to know if anyone has planted chicory and or oats and how well it worked. Also has anyone broadcasted clover/alfalfa seed early in the spring when the snow was still on, it seems to work well here in west central Illinois. What do you use and why?
Pocampo

I plant BIOLOGIC Green Patch in the fall and have had great luck with it. The deer love it in the late seasons as it stays green long into the winter.

I have planted Whitetail Institute Clover in the spring which has come up well but often loses out the other grass and weeds since I don't spray.

I personally have had tremendous success with Imperial Whitetail Clover for the past 5 years. I lost about 5 acres of it this year to the drought. GLC is absolutely correct, the fescue will overtake it in the summer, if you don't mow or spray. However, when we'd mow around Labor Day, the clover would come on hot and heavy, and you might see up to 40 deer in the field at one time. This is in an area of NE MO, where 25 deer per square mile is the average. We killed 4 record book bucks in 5 years with the clover, either in it or within 100 yards of the plot. Last year, my brother took the 4th largest non-typical in MO with a muzzleloader, it was standing in the clover when he shot it. In the past 2 weeks, we replanted most of the field with wheat, and will frost seed the IWC come about Jan or so. Then, come early spring, we'll spray the fescue out. Best of luck with your plots. Remember, if you plant it, they will come.

I'm not quite sure what you mean "what seed works best".

I'm near the northern fringe of deer habitat. We get deep snow and the deer migrate to the yards. Our summers are short but long enough to grow some great food plots.

I planted 7 different plots on August 7th with my favorite mix:
50% tyfon turnips
15% Biologic Maximum
10% Canola
20% dwarf exxex rape
5% purple top turnips

All the above seeds are part of the brassica seed group. They grow fast, are high protien plus lots of tonnage. They usually are left alone until the first frost or freeze of the year. After that the deer don't leave them alone. Some of the plants are already 20" high and over 8" across.

Ceral grains are another good draw for hunting season if planted a little later. Rye, wheat and oats fall into this group. I planted oats on Labor day and they are about 6" high. Deer are in them already.

As far as perennial seed, clover is the best seed for my area. It greens up real nice in the spring and has high protien levels most of the year. At least 60% of my plots are perennial clover. Designer clovers cost more but they last for years which makes them cheaper in the long run.

Farm crops also have their place in food plots. Standing corn is great for winter carry over. Alfalfa is great in the summer but requires maintenance. Peas and beans ar great both for spring and alter summer planting.

I have a little over 10% of my land in high quality food plots. I spend hundreds of hours annually working to ensure my land has the best groceries for miles around. Food plots aren't cheap but are well worth the investment of time and money. Be advised they can become addictive. :roll:

www.Michigan-Sportsman.com has a habitat forum that could be a real help.

guys, thanks to all for the good info. I have some new ideas from the info provided. Also, does anyone have a photo of their favorite food plot they could post?
Pocampo

HawgHunter,
those are some nice looking food plot pics and bigger in size than expected.

I just finished planting our (4) food plots which range in size from a 1/4 acre to 1 acre. We planted Wheat and Ladino White Clover and plan to overseed in feb or mar when the snow melts with Alfalfa and maybe some Chicory.

Also this next year we may plant some Late soybeans in a strategic location and let them go. Soybeans that are still green in october bow season is a real draw.

Can you please tell me how you prepare and plant your foodplots? It seems there are lots of different methods and ideas of how to do it and some seem to work better than others. What is your opinion?
Pocampo

Can you please tell me how you prepare and plant your foodplots? It seems there are lots of different methods and ideas of how to do it and some seem to work better than others

I'll give you the short version since I had to clear all the land with a chain saw, bush hog and sprayer. It takes me about 80 hours to clear an acre of land well enough to plant. I have about 9 acres in plots on my 1/4 section.

I'm in a high snowfall area so spring comes real late. Most years there's not enough spring time to prep soil and plant. It's either too wet or too cold but usually both. We lose the last of our snow cover the weekend prior to Memorial weekend. So spring is for frost seeding over the previous years annual planting.

I can usually get about 3-4 year out of my clover chicory plots before the require replanting. When replanting is required I spray generic round up on everything soon after green up. I wait a few weeks and spray again if required. The next step is thoughly discing the plot. I'll do this as required through the summer to keep the weeds/grasses in check. Sun light on the roots kill them quick.

Planting usually is around the begining of August where I'm at. It's the time of year we start to get rain. Moisture is the key to plot establishment, without it germination is sporadic at best. I'm a firm believer in fertilizer and use it to get great results. The habitat forum on the above link is a great place to learn, I've been a poster there for years.

I seed with an Earthway shoulder mount broadcast spreader, fertilize with an Ag-Way tow behind spreader. I use my tractor for soil prep and atv for the spreader, sprayer and cultipacker. Good luck and let me know if you require more info.

HawgHunter,
thanks for the info. Will try some new things this next spring and see how it works. Also I will check out the above link. Thanks!
Pocampo

Back