for sabotloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmaineron

Reaction score
Sabotloader,do you have a measurement for the blowback shield that you made.I have cut one to 3/4" which alows the bolt to close snugly.Do you secure it to the bolt? I assume the 13/64" hole is a relief hole.Did you find that that the bolt got dirtier using the shield?Thank,Ron

nmaineron

Ron which gun are you asking about, the Remington 700ML or the A&H. I am thinking you are asking about the Rem... if not let me know...

If you are asking about the Remington the weather shield slips over the lip on the front of the bolt and I did cut mine a little short. It does not touch the rear of the barrel when the barrel when the bolt is closed - but it does go inside the reciever cavity.

13/64 - is just a bit bigger than I drilled mine but should work just fine. Mine is 11/64.

I really did not notice a lot of additional blow back into the bolt but I does deposit more soot on the nipple and surronding area. Remember I am using the Cabelas nipple - not the Remington 209 nipple - it is really bad.

Thanks SL,yea I'm talking of the Rem.I also have the Cabelas conversion,just haven't fired it yet.I cut the 1/2" pipe to just over 3/4" which was just an eyeball cut.With the bolt closed I can spin the pipe freely.Nice fit purely by accident! I'll split the difference with you on the hole :lol: Thanks,Ron

nmaineron

Very good. You might want to wrap a couple of wraps of teflon tape around the front lip of the bolt then install the shield so that the copper does not spin, because you want that vent hole exposed to the side of the bolt all the time.

I think I ended up sqeezing mine down to make it fit snuggly around the bolt lip.

I got a chance to fire my rifle today with all the conversion parts.I had Winchester ML primers with 100Grs of Pyro pellets and 250 Powerbelts to kill a piece of 1/2" plywood. I really like the conversion,the ignition was a real noticable difference,I was shooting at twice the distance that I shot last without the conversion and I printed about 2" higher.

I am going to play with it with the pyro and the powerbelts until they are gone then I will start using 777 and something other than powerbelts,probably Hornadys.

Gotta be a little warmer though,it was only about 10* today.Ron

nmaineron

Your last post sounds like you have made real progress. I shoot 110 grains T7-2f from my Rems and either a Nosler or a Gold Dot.

If I might suggest - skip the Hornady's and get some Gold Dots....

I hve done a lot of personal testing with the Gold Dots and i use to shoot a lot of hornady's and they are a good bullet and they have killed a lot of game but IMO the Gold Dots are superior as they are bonded and will not pancake...

Here are a group put through my torture test...

GoldDotPerformance.jpg

SL,I had fun but it was too cold to really take my time and enjoy what I wanted to accomplish.I happened onto some Hornady XTP in a little General store for 10 bucks so I grabbed them.I really haven't seen much of a variety in my neck of the woods.Wallys is 40 miles away and they seem to only do the Powerbelts and the 350 gr.FBP Hornadys.When I get into the stealth mode I'll have to order some up 8) .

When you clean up do you use anything special to cut the residue,especially around the breech and bolt?Do you just dry patch the bore?Thanks,Ron

nmaineron

I primarily use two products... Regular blue windex is the essential starting cleaning solution and what I use for patch swabs at the range. The ammonia in windex is a great metal stripper and completly neutralizes T7 residue.

Here is how i make my patches for the range... the key is get them dry as you can after you saturate them - then seal them.

WinPatch.jpg

I also use these patches to clean the bore before strip cleaning the gun.

For the breech plug and the heavy cleaning I use a product called 'Zep Citrus - Cleaner/Degreaser - it is really some good stuff. I just drop the the separated nipple and BP in a small can (actually it is a tuna can) and let it soak while I am cleaning the rest if the gun. I get the ZEP at Home Depot.

http://www.zepcommercial.com/products.asp?category=3

Zep Heavy-Duty Citrus DegreaserZUCIT128 - 128 oz. | ZUCIT32 - 32 oz.

Download MSDS
Citrus-based degreaser
Dissolves heavy soils from many surfaces
Great for engines, machinery, auto wheels
Rinses easily without alkaline residues

Other products such as Simple Green is said to work real well also...

This is for T7 cleanup.... Bh just use normal smokeless rifle clean-up

I just was looking at an ad for Alpha Gold.Are these what you were refering to as Gold Dots?

nmaineron

Yep! you will need a sabot - either a MMP HPH-24 or a Harvester - short black regular sabot....

Both sabots are for a .451-.452 bullet into a 50 Cal ML.

These are what I use - there might be a slight possiblilty that your bore could be tighter than either one of mine and you might need the HPH-3p-EZ load or the Harvester Crush Rib... but i doubt it.

These are all black sabots...

Latest posts

Back