? for those of you much smarter than I...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flint head

Reaction score
After shooting BH209 in my TC Pro Hunter I cleaned with BC bore scrubber. Useing the Jag my patches came out clean, and still do by the way. However, when I soak a patch in solvent and wrap it around a copper bore brush the patches, in the neighborhood of around 60 now, keep comming out black and I mean one blacker than the next. I know the bore has to be clean by now so what is happening... a chemical reaction perhaps? Help me because I'm having evil thoughts of trading my beloved TC for a 30-06 KP1 :twisted:

Is it a stainless barrel?? My Ml2 did the same thing! I just kept getting back black patches..........tarnish. JMHO

Yep It's SS, I know now it's not a chemical reaction... tried the Mean Green window cleaner I use on 777 and had the same black patches. I also tried the bore brush in my clean Knight and had the same results,,, so It's some thing but It's not a dirty bore. I ran a couple of EEZOX patches on the jag and they are nice and clean... so I'll just say the hell with it and have a beer! :lol:

dirty bore?

Is your bronze brush being attacked by your solvent. Is there copper cleaner in it . If it has an ammonia smell to it that might be the culprit
Wayles

Re: dirty bore?

wayles said:
Is your bronze brush being attacked by your solvent. Is there copper cleaner in it . If it has an ammonia smell to it that might be the culprit
Wayles

FWIW--my thoughts too. I bore brushed and cleaned my T/C stainless Omega with Hoppes #9 after shooting BH209 and got clean white patches when I was done.

I used Butch's Bore Shine after using B209 and needed about 8 patches (with a nylon brush after about 4 patches) and got it clean.

It is a chemical reaction and it is between your copper or bronze brush and the cleaner which is also capable of removing copper left by bullets in your barrel. To avoid such problems I would use a stainless steel brush.

Lee 9 said:
It is a chemical reaction and it is between your copper or bronze brush and the cleaner which is also capable of removing copper left by bullets in your barrel. To avoid such problems I would use a stainless steel brush.

I use Hoppe's Benchrest copper and plastic solvent with the same results. It is the copper in the brush reacting to the solvent.

Charlie

Back