Bestill Omega Custom Breech Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bestill Omega Custom Breech Plug 3/22/2020

I’ve been shooting and hunting with five different .50 caliber inlines for 14 years. One thing they all have in common, left unmodified, is that they puke soot, and plenty of it, from the 209 primers in the rifle’s breech area. It takes me longer to clean this blowby and the filthy breech plug than the bore and rest of the rifle combined, and I have come to despise the task .

Following advice from this forum for Omega rifles, I tried measuring and using Winchester W209 primers that are .302” in length or longer. This does work, but who has time to do all that measuring? Especially when I was only getting about 13 out of 100 that are long enough, from stock that is maybe ten years old.

Another problem, at least from shooting my desired elk loads (mid-to-heavy weight conicals with a hefty powder charge which is near maximum loads for an Omega), is the short life of the standard breech plug.. The high pressures create erosion of the flame hole after only a couple of hundred rounds, necessitating replacement of the bp.

Then, Bestill Creations advertised a fix for these problems, a custom fitted breech plug to alleviate blowby, along with a tungsten carbide bushing that should just about last forever. Click HERE I contacted Jeff Fisk. Since the bp has to be custom head spaced for each rifle, he asked me to take some simple measurements. With the standard bp in place in the rifle, take a couple of W209 primers that are .302” in length, place them in the bp, and close the breech, but do not fire them. Then remove and measure the primers again to see how much “crush” I’m getting, which, in this Omega, was .002”. This gave Jeff the info he needed to fit the bp using his preferred primers, Federal 209A, and soon it arrived in the mail.
1585013390643.png
Left is original standard bp; right is Bestill custom.

1585013514232.png
Left is standard; right Bestill with carbide bushing held in place with a hollow set nut.

1585013634422.png
Bestill bp installed in a clean stainless steel Omega.

Since I lean toward the compulsive side, I went through the trouble of measuring and sorting a package of Fed 209A primers. If any blowby occurred, I wanted to know what length of primer caused it. I started my shooting with the LONGEST primers first, .298 and .297”. When closing the breech on these, I could definitely feel a significant crush going on.

My usual load is a homecast pure lead conical of 420 grains with Ben’s Liquid Lube over 100 grains volume of BH209. Since I should be getting complete and consistent primer sealing, Jeff had suggested that the most accurate load might change from what I was seeing before. Therefore, I started using loads of 80gr vol and moved up to 100. I applied nothing to the bp threads.

1585013703504.png
Breech area after firing 13 shots.

After the first 10 shots were fired using the longest primers, the breech was perfectly clean – HOORAY – MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!! The next three shots I switched to the shortest primers at .294” long. In the pic above you can see just a hint of blowby.

1585013769874.png

1585013813141.png
The bp was easily removed without any binding, and cleaned up quickly with citrus spray cleaner and a toothbrush.

1585013870031.png
The powder end of the bp looks nasty, but since it is exposed to the combustion area, you’ll get the same fouling on any bp. A little scrubbing with a brass brush and solvent restored it to like new.

1585014023527.png
Just what I had hoped to see, nice clean primers!

Since an Omega rifle with a scope is difficult to prime and deprime with bare fingers, I am in the habit of using the handy metal CVA capper/extractor tool. After firing, the primers were all fairly snug fitting in the bp, but easily popped out with the tool.

Since I got a late start heading out to the shooting range, I had to hustle to get my shooting in before dark. Therefore, I didn’t have time to be super careful about my aiming, although every shot felt good at the point of firing. The range was 100 yards, Leupold scope set on 12 power, with about an eight mph wind coming from 4 o’clock. The groups were abysmal except for one, but then this rifle often misbehaves. Three shot groups were as follows: 80 gr BH209 – 5” (on a cold clean bore), 90 gr – 1-1/16”, 95 gr – 4”, 100 gr – 3”. Since I recently wrapped up some woodworking projects that ate up my winter free time, I can now move on to removing the QLA on this rifle and recrowning. Hopefully this will help accuracy.

Then, I installed the bp in my blued Omega, just to see how it would work. Unfortunately, the rifle’s head space dimensions must be different, because after three shots it produced pretty much the usual nasty blowby that I’ve been getting with the standard bp. Looks like it would have to be fitted for its own new bp.

In the stainless Omega, though, I am very happy with the initial testing of the Bestill custom breech plug. Hopefully my woes of breech cleaning and flame hole erosion are past. Thanks so much to Jeff Fisk at Bestill Creations for a great product!!

Some good information here. Nice attention to detail. Your measurements are quite accurate.

One thing that caught my eye was the photo of the plugs with primer in place. Jeff' plug with the deeper primer socket is very very good for helping keep the primer from leaking through. Me, i just ordered his plug today, but i didn't realize the socket was so much deeper than the OEM socket. Your photo made me quite happy.

This next quote kinda disturbed me.

......I applied nothing to the bp threads........

This, in my opinion, isn't good. My belief is you should apply something to the threads. What i will do when i put Jeff' plug into service is put a single wrap of plumber tape on the plug before installation. The tape stops the leakage through the threads, and it is easy to clean up after shooting. This i do to my Omega plugs now, and it works.

I spoke to him about importance of wrapping plug.

I believe he was following your thread about Bestill knight plug and not applying anything to threads .

Very true but rear sealing breech plug is very new to many in muzzleloader community and on these forums as experienced muzzleloader guys we have to be aware many are new to alot of things we speak of and easily get the wrong idea.

In my business I try my best to keep things very consistent and in that i recommend wrapping every plug i don't see the down side just alittle clean up but up side is beneficial.

I personally do some things with my muzzleloaders different than many but I usually don't post it if it could lead a new guy into confusion or danger.

Thanks Jeff

Well Jeff, it is kinda hard for me to do things that are superfluous, but it isn't so hard not to talk about them.

While we are talking about the Omega breech plug, i would like to mention how much i like what you did to the primer socket. Providing the additional depth, which gives more support to the primer is, in my opinion, a wonderful thing. TC should have done the same. Had i known this, i probably would have purchased your plug the day you announced it. Am really looking forward to playing with it!

Excellent report goco4game

Well Jeff, it is kinda hard for me to do things that are superfluous, but it isn't so hard not to talk about them.

While we are talking about the Omega breech plug, i would like to mention how much i like what you did to the primer socket. Providing the additional depth, which gives more support to the primer is, in my opinion, a wonderful thing. TC should have done the same. Had i known this, i probably would have purchased your plug the day you announced it. Am really looking forward to playing with it!

Excellent report goco4game
Thanks Ron, I used your great review of the Ultralite BP as an example. You guys are way ahead of me with all this info, and I sure appreciate the help.
Not only does the new Bestill bp have a much deeper primer pocket, but the i.d. is .007" smaller, .241 vs .248". That has to be a good thing.

Ron,

You're plug will ship today.
It is a good product thanks.

I learned a new word today superfluous.
I understand you feel it unnecessary to wrap rear sealing breech plug and that's cool.
But for all others using any of my breech plugs please wrap threads with teflon tape and light oil on tape.

Thanks Jeff

Jeff' plug arrived yesterday. Shipping was quite prompt. Thank you Jeff!

It is now ready to use. With the shortest primer in place it measures 0.003" longer than a OEM breech plug measures with the longest primer in place. May be too long, but don't want it to end up too short for the shortest primers.

Jeff' plug is made of a super nice material; better than the OEM. It is hard, and smmoooth.

Too bad all shotgun primers aren't the same length.

Looking Forward to receiving these bestill Bushing Breech Plugs for the TC Encore & Omega.

Ron did you say yours is interchangeable between your different Omegas?

.......did you say yours is interchangeable between your different Omegas?

Yes. The plug works in any of the Omega rifles, and makes a perfect seal in every Omega rifle. It has been a year now, and the plug still works good. Flash hole still measures 0.034". Just used the 45 Omega sealed with Jeff' plug to catch Ed' 340i bullet four times.

Was using Jeff' plug whilst hunting with the Omega Dream Season, and it put a deer into our freezer.

Jeff is a fine mechanic.

What BP to use for a .40SML Omega with a Brux 1.20 x 4 shaft? Would a module BP Be better suited than a 209? I'd think a rear-sealing one would be the way to go as well. I could use some experienced advice here. Never swam in these waters before, so, learning everything I can. Thanks

Jeff has a module type bp for custom barrels. I had that type on my Bestill Omega build. For a .40 cal sml I would only use the rear seal module type. The only downside is you would have to make a tool to remove the modules as there is no way for the Omega action to pull the module. No big deal though.

Jeff has a module type bp for custom barrels. I had that type on my Bestill Omega build. For a .40 cal sml I would only use the rear seal module type. The only downside is you would have to make a tool to remove the modules as there is no way for the Omega action to pull the module. No big deal though.
Thank ya kindly Fishhawk, that's exactly what I was lookin for. I'll contact Jeff then & get me one or two of them & some modules. I appreciate the insight & info.

I'm sure the barreled actions will have to go to Jeff for proper head spacing.
Oh yes, I'm sure of that head spacing is going to need to be done , by Jeff, if, he could fit me in in the next yr. I will hit him up for the BP & hopefully some more insight. Or I'll have to find another gunsmith that can help me get this done for what I can afford to do. I know the whole lug will need to be redesigned & Tiged on & the inletting for this 1.20 x4" stock change & bed & pillar the new front block. I'm looking forward to this , my first experience with SML or trying to get one custom put together. Quite the endeavor I'm seeing.

Received my bestill Bushing Breech Plugs for both the TC Encore & Omega👍. They work Perfectly. Compresses / Crushes the .297” long Federal 209As to .293” for Leak Free Seal 👏 Serious Upgrade from the OEM short loose primer pocket. Can’t say enough for what Jeff Fisk has done for the TC Omegas🙏😇

Received my bestill Bushing Breech Plugs for both the TC Encore & Omega👍. They work Perfectly. Compresses / Crushes the .297” long Federal 209As to .293” for Leak Free Seal 👏 Serious Upgrade from the OEM short loose primer pocket. Can’t say enough for what Jeff Fisk has done for the TC Omegas🙏😇
Im pretty sure Bestill is using ASG BP's for the Omega SML's. I just bought my ASG BP with modules for mine yesterday. I'm putting the 700/Omega/10ml2 LRMP BP in mine with the hard alloy modules bc I'm doin mine in .40 cal. I'd prob stick with a 209 BP if I was doin mine in .45.

Back