Forgive me. I was weak...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Savage 99 is such a classy rifle. Congrats on your find and it a great cal as well.

I have been a Winchester fan since I was a young lad...so I have Model 88s but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the Model 99s...as a matter of fact when my brother was looking for a rifle for his wife, I helped him find and refinish a 99 in 250-3000. She has used that little rifle to take 5 deer and a cow elk.

A Savage 99 in 38-55 was just posted today on Guns International with a tang mounted peep sight, and 11 boxes of Winchester SuperX 225gr ammo for a price of $2395.

The Savage 99 is such a classy rifle. Congrats on your find and it a great cal as well.

I have been a Winchester fan since I was a young lad...so I have Model 88s but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the Model 99s...as a matter of fact when my brother was looking for a rifle for his wife, I helped him find and refinish a 99 in 250-3000. She has used that little rifle to take 5 deer and a cow elk.
I had one of the last 99's that was made in .250-3000 before the changeover to the top tang safety. Had a top tang safety model carbine, too. Sold them both. I'm such an old idiot...

You are forgiven bandicoot, you were younger then.

The 99 Savage is a wonderful piece of machinery. I always appreciated the color case on the trigger guard/lever.

300 Savage is a great cartridge. Mine resides in a first year production 722. The serial number is etched inside the receiver rather than stamped on the outside. I reload for it with an ancient set of Herter's dies.

Congrats on finding a pristine Savage 99. I found one for my dad years ago in .300 Savage and he administers dirt naps every deer season with it. I have reloaded ammunition for it from day one and use Hornady 150 grain soft points.
Good Luck with your new purchase!

Thanks to Snapbang I have mucho .300 Sav. empties, I'll probably reload some 151 gr Absolute Hammers in front of some AA2230 for mine and see if I can't plug a song dog this winter.
See what you did CR? Gonna get me all nostalgic and all.
Looked up ser. # - mine should have been made around 1951. And looking through the buckhorn, I'ma need a peep with my eyes. 🥴

Last edited:
My Marbles got here yesterday. I mounted it, co-witnessed it with the opens, removed said open and installed the dovetail filler.
Then, I happened to look on ebay aaaand... A Lyman 30 1/2... $300. Nice shape...
The be ALL to end ALL in tang sights for the 99. Oh my...
Click.

Thanks! I'm chomping at the bit waiting for my Marbles tang sight to get here!
This gonna be gooood...
P.s. I have assured, and reassured, my muzzleloaders that they are not and can not be replaced. Especially by a BREECHLOADER...

Liar! LIAR!! LIAR!!!

I smell black powder on fire!!!

Holy Black IS aroma therapy!
Our bear season opens Saturday and I'll be totin' Calico. There'll be a 300 grain .45 XTP down bore for old Yogi...
Maybe... I might try the 400 grain Lyman soda cans? Might still need a bit of work with those though.
When its time to go for a walk, I can't not reach for Calico. Except for flintlock season.

Latest posts

Back