Form California

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coaster500

Reaction score
Hello my name is Kip... I have been a bow hunter for years but due to the lack of cartilage in my shoulders (just age, worn out) I am exploring new venues. This year I applied in many states for Muzzleloader hunts and drew a unit 34 elk new mexico.... Now I need to figure out my set up. The hunt is in the middle of October so I have a bit of time to prepare. I have hunted this unit successfully with a bow so I have a plan..... Just need the right tools.
I have an Encore that in truth I am not crazy about. I also have a Traditions Ultralight 30" barrel that I like better. It shoots a Barnes TEZ 290 right at 2000fps and about an 1 1/2" @ 100yds..... If you folks were hunting this unit what gun would you pick, not just the ones I have but your choice. What would you take? .......

Thank You

Kip

Hey Kip,
Welcome to the Forum, Glad you found us. I to had to give up the bow due to shoulder issues too. :(

If it were me, and could use scope and sabots, I would take my Knight Ultra Lite I recently obtained. Still got to get the right load but I have already fallen in love with it. :D

Shawn like they say this gettin old crap ain't for sissy's...

What load would you use in that Knight? Powder, bullet, sabot???

I have looked at that gun. Is it easy to unload at the end of the day without having to shoot it? I am using Blackhorn in my guns right now and I wondered how well it would work in the Knight with the barrel being only 24's?

coaster500 said:
Shawn like they say this gettin old crap ain't for sissy's...

What load would you use in that Knight? Powder, bullet, sabot???

I have looked at that gun. Is it easy to unload at the end of the day without having to shoot it? I am using Blackhorn in my guns right now and I wondered how well it would work in the Knight with the barrel being only 24's?
Yup but most of my problem is from working as a Service Tech spending lots of days on my hands and knees. Some days my shoulder complains other days its my knees. :( Doc just says what did you expect doing that so long. :roll: Time catches up with us, and I don't consider myself old but some days....... :lol:

Still trying to decide on the load. I have only shot mine a few times so far. I just got it. I don't think you need to worry about barrel length, at least I would not. I would shoot BH between 110 and 120 grains is best guess and if Elk were my game of choice I think I would look at either one of the Barnes, Lehigh/Bloodlines, or even the Speer Deep Curls If you could find some. I will be trying the Speer, Barnes TMZ, and the Bloodlines. I just got some Harvester PT Gold to try but those may be for Deer, not sure how they would work on larger game. As for Unloading at the end of the day hunting, I don't. I just remove the Primer and store it. With the Ultra Lite you would have to remove the bolt and BP to push the load out. I have never seen the need to do that till close of season or end of my hunt. Are you required to remove the charge from the rifle at end of day where you hunt?

" I have never seen the need to do that till close of season or end of my hunt. Are you required to remove the charge from the rifle at end of day where you hunt?"

I was more concerned about leaving the powder in the gun and having misfire problems? By leaving the powder in your rifle have you ever had a problem?

I have very large hands and thick fingers and it looked to me like priming and unloading the Knight rifles might be difficult for me?

I have never hunted with a Muzzleloader before so this is all greek to me. I had the encore with several riffle barrels bought a 50 cal barrel for it. I am just not crazy about it and its accuracy. The Traditions Vortec Ultralight with a 30" barrel is a new gun to me. You can unscrew the breach plug with your fingers so is super east to unload and clean. It shoots very accurate with Barnes TEZ 290 but every once in a while throws a flyer. I just got a an attachment made for the Barnes bullets but have not had a chance to see if it eliminates the flyers??? My thought is that I may be causing damage with the current attachment on my ramrod?

I really like the look of the Knight and am not adverse to adding to the rack.... In fact their is one in my cart as we speak :roll: My wife thinks I'M nuts!!!

Kip

coaster500 said:
" I have never seen the need to do that till close of season or end of my hunt. Are you required to remove the charge from the rifle at end of day where you hunt?"

I was more concerned about leaving the powder in the gun and having misfire problems? By leaving the powder in your rifle have you ever had a problem?

I have very large hands and thick fingers and it looked to me like priming and unloading the Knight rifles might be difficult for me?

I have never hunted with a Muzzleloader before so this is all greek to me. I had the encore with several riffle barrels bought a 50 cal barrel for it. I am just not crazy about it and its accuracy. The Traditions Vortec Ultralight with a 30" barrel is a new gun to me. You can unscrew the breach plug with your fingers so is super east to unload and clean. It shoots very accurate with Barnes TEZ 290 but every once in a while throws a flyer. I just got a an attachment made for the Barnes bullets but have not had a chance to see if it eliminates the flyers??? My thought is that I may be causing damage with the current attachment on my ramrod?

I really like the look of the Knight and am not adverse to adding to the rack.... In fact their is one in my cart as we speak :roll: My wife thinks I'M nuts!!!

Kip

My wife thinks I'M nuts!!!

Sounds like you are going to fit right in here! :lol: This is a Very addictive sport. Muzzleloaders are like Lays Tater chips..can't stop at just one! :lol: I can't put them all in my signature line. :roll: Some of the other guys are worse! :lol:

Never with my inlines. I have hunted with my MK-95 in total Down pours, and Heavy snows and never had a fail to fire or mis-fire. If you set up the primer right and it seals up then I don't worry about water getting in there. When I hunt, I always put a Childs Balloon over the muzzle after I load up. That will do a couple things, first it seals the muzzle from water getting in, second if the balloon is broken it might indicate I got something down the barrel and need to check that out, and third it is a good indicator/reminder that the rifle has a charge in it. Some guys use Tape or even finger cots. I usually pick up a big bag of balloons and pick out the smaller ones I can use and give the rest to some kids. Balloons are cheap. That same rifle was in a very hard all day down pour on a Wednesday and then fired at the bear in my avatar on Saturday and I was using Pyrodex RS Powder then and it is more Hydroscopic than BH. You don't have to worry about removing the balloon or tape either, just aim and shoot. The Air pressure in front of the bullet with blow it off before that bullet exits the muzzle and will not affect your accuracy. The more you shoot and get familiar with the rifles you have the more confidence you will have in what it and you can do. I think you will find most of us here don't discharge the rifle at the end of the day and some leave them loaded for several weeks.

I can see if you have large hands loading a bare primer can be a challenge again it might just be a thing to practice to get use to it. Then again a Break action may be more to your liking. Something like a TC Omega (If you can find one, it is not really a break action), the Triumph, CVA makes some great shooting rifles too. Knight has the Vision. So plenty to choose from if a Bolt style don't suit you.

Latest posts

Back