Forum members 58 Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Forrest Hunter sent me his CVA Hawken .58cal to do some work on. When I got the rifle it had a good amount of rust inside that was flaking off. I ran my bore camera and found the breech/drum was thick scale rust. I used some Shoot Out on a steel wool pad and scrubbed the breech as best I could and ran many shoot out patches through the bore to help knock anything out. It cleaned up extremely well!

I bedded the tang,trigger and sections of the barrel channel as well. Fixed the badly off center front sight, loctite on the ramrod thimbles and under rib. Just completely went through the rifle and made sure everything was in good shape. I even got that pesky clean out screw loose! I hate those things.

Today at 50 yards I used 90gr Jim Shockeys Gold 2FG. 020" patch, .570" round balls.

First 3

Shots 3-5 after adjustment
img_9826.jpg

img_9828.jpg

She took some work to get back into top shape, but now its better than new. Had a lot of gaps around the tang and fore stock area, but is nice and rock solid after the bedding.

Time to clean, lube and package her up to go back home :Red tup:

very nice job on fixing up an old rifle, I can see you do good work

Back