FPB,Hornady +BH209 with Omega and Triumph

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee 9

Reaction score
Went to Memphis wife wanted to vist friends and I alwaays turn those trips into goody hunts, I a Walmart in Memphis I found some FPB for 7 dollars a carton so haveing low resistance I bought some always like to try new things. After I done my regular shooting and the barrels were hot I decieded to see what they would do with that kind of a disadvantage. I shot 100gr for 3 shots each with the barrels so hot you did not want to hold them with bare hands, and got a nice pair of groups that were just over an inch so I took a break and a cold drink while I let them cool shot again and got a pair of groups just under an inch and I dont even have any idea what load they shoot best with. I will be getting some more and am considering re sighting in with them when I find what load they like.
I was getting an average of 1800 fps which with a 350 gr conical I consider real decent now if any one knows any thing about the terminal preformance of this bullet I would like to hear about it. Lee
PS ignition was with win 209 and perfect as far as I cold tell.

They shoot amazingly well for me. What load you using? lee

Knight KRB, 90 gr ffg 777, triple 7 209 primer.

Hope is wasn't a fluke. I got 2 & 1/4 inch 100 yards groups with a peep sight.

But now, you did it, I will have to try them in my Omega. Be really surprised if they shoot well out of there, no other conical will except powerbelts. Since the have a metal "skirt" its possible, I suppose.

TX hunter 58, if only one of my TC's had shot them well I might have some doubts but all 3 did so from that I would guess that most would, TC's tend toward having a tighter bore and that may be what works well with these conicals not to sure about the Knight and the White they tend toward a bit larger bore, I will be watching to see what the guys say. Lee

They shot from my Omega also....110gr BH209 350 gr FPB 1.5 to 2" group at 100yds in 90 degree heat barrel got a bit warm after a couple shots.Took 1 shot at 200yds, sighted an inch high at 100yds impact was 13" low at 200yds.....They also shot well from my KRB 100gr 2f 777 peep sight at 50 yds yielded a 1.5" group. Now the question what to bring to CO for my up coming elk hunt,Omega BH209 and 350FPB or KRB 777 and NE 460.......

omegaman
I was thinking about that too, People on several forums have been talking about how well they shoot out of a fairly wide group of guns, the only one I have not heard of shooting them is the White[no info at all yet] they seem to work as well as sabots in most; the thread Txhunter post above was very interesting it looks to me like penatration was excellant with good expansion. I tried some at 150 yds and they grouped 2 " which is about as groopd as I can shoot and I found that Hornady gives them a very high BC but I will take that with a grain of salt till I check it, I tried to shoot PB's with the BC that CVA gives the and they hit the ground in front of the target. So far the trajectory seems to be they flatest of any conical I have that will shoot well enough for long range and I have not tried them with any thing over 100gr of BH209 but since the strain gage is not showing me anything like max pressure I might up the load a bit . Let us know what you will do. I am trying to get an other batch for some more testing. Lee

Just shot 90 gr BH209,FPB,Win 209 with the Omega. 3 shots cover with a silver dollar. 100 gr BH209,FPB,Win209 3 shots cover with silver dollar. All shots 2 inches low at 50 yards. Only difference was more recoil with 100 gr. All adjustment gone from rear sight. Called T/C, they are sending different front sight. Lady at T/C said they were using some BH209 with powerbelts with success but had not shot the FPB`s. BTW I shot all FPB`s with tip removed for Co length. An FPB with tip removed weighs 349. I found some lead BB`s from when I reloaded for Goose hunting and one of those drops into the cavity of the FPB and increased the weight to 358 gr. I`m wondering if this would keep it from acting like a hollow point? Will also shot same receipe in my Savage with open sights for Co.

Can i have you front sight rooster?

TC sent me an replacement front sight because i shoot 8" high @ 50 yards and have my sight bottomed out! The replacement front sight was the exact same sight as the original!

I wish they would find someone to manufacture sights for their rifles.

rooster257r
I have done some experimenting with PB's on that epoxie or solder and fill up to level will make PB's open inted of blowing even with a decent load. have not done much with the FPB yet I think I will just trim off the nose plastic to get the length down. Lee

Latest posts

Back