From a .300 wsm to a .243

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black powder

Reaction score
sold my browning stainless stalker a-bolt 300wsm and ordered the savage weather warrior 243 ..after 40 odd years of hunting big game and spending a lot of time on the range practicing with different bullets i have come to the conclusion that the .243 cal .with the winchester 95 gr. XP3 will nail anything that i hunt [if i do my part] ..i have tried the accutrigger and it is the best trigger that i have ever pulled ..also the accustock is a great feature in a synthetic stock ..[more ridgid]

Makes sense to me--why put up with 300 mag recoil? My favorite centerfire deer rifle is a .257 Roberts I've had for 25 years now (I haven't used it much in the last dozen years because of hunting with muzzleloaders and hunting "shotgun only" areas).

Have fun with your new .243

Any of the mid rifle calibers are fine for most of my hunting too and they dont beat you to death. My personal favorites are the 6.5x55 Swedish in a small ring Mauser action or the 6.8SPC if you need a semi auto.

My 25-06 served me well for years too but its so loud. :D

My accur-trigger is ok but i kinda like the Timneys better. I haven't adjusted it though and its still fresh.

A 243 fan here too. I do own a 300wsm, though I hardly ever use it. For deer hunting I usually take a 243, after that it's a 284win or a 308. I should line up for a black bear hunt next Fall, I may use my 284 win since it's real handy.

glad to hear that there are still some hunters who enjoy low recoil rifles . i just got fed up with the noise [BOSS] great for reducing the recoil and tunning the barrel but i don't need it with my .243 ...i have not received the .243 yet it should arrive soon ...come fall i have booked a white tail hunting trip on ANTICOSTI ISLAND in oct. the .243 will be with me for sure ..

That 243 sounds pretty sweet. I too was looking for a good soft shooting round in a lightweight rifle (I do a lot of walking/poking around) and decided on the new Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. SWEET trigger and nice balance. I got the 7mm-08 and so far am REALLY impressed. My first choice was the 260 Remington, but couldn't get it in the Mod 70 Featherweight.

I have the Browning300 wsm, what was your best load for this gun? Mine shoots the 180 gr Accubond pretty good. I put a sims recoil pad on it, less recoil.

tndeer said:
I have the Browning300 wsm, what was your best load for this gun? Mine shoots the 180 gr Accubond pretty good. I put a sims recoil pad on it, less recoil.

same here ...WINCHESTER SUPREME ACCUBOND were my hunting bullets for thr 300 wsm ..i also removed the "hockey puck " recoil pad that BROWNING put on my a-bolt and replaced it with a sims recoil pad ..

some of the game that i shot with my 300 wsm...

Blackpower,

If I shot that many large big game animals with a 300WSM I would have hung the rifle on the wall.

Chocdog

The color of the antlers on the caribou is really nice! Good going Black Powder!

I really enjoy my Lefthanded Browning Stainless Stalker w/ Boss in .338WinMag. I think the Boss affects others hunting around you more than the shooter. I have shot a lot of wild hogs and other big game animals with it.

DSC01579.jpg

newpig01.jpg

Justinspig.jpg

DSC04093.jpg

DSC03676.jpg

7PTWHITETAIL.jpg

I think my dad is going to end up getting one in .338 as well, although in RH

Large caliber rifles to this day still amaze me. When I was a young man getting into hunting, the rifle of the day was a 30-30 either a Winchester 94 or a Marlin 336 model. I think everyone carried one. My Dad of course was the strange duck in the pond. He had a Model 99 Arisika 7.7 Military rifle that he customized. I never saw a deer walk away from that 7.7. So when it was my turn to get my first deer rifle (I hunted many years with a 12 gauge slug gun) we found a "used" Remington 742 Woodsmaster Carbine in 30-06. I took more deer then I care to count with that simple little semi auto and it truly never jammed once.

After moving out and growing older I went elk hunting out west. The guide heard I was bringing a 30-06 CARBINE and had an absolute fit. He strongly recommend a 7mm Mag as "everyone" was shooting them. So I purchased a Ruger 7mm mag. Sighted in and practiced out to 400 yards. Second day, the bull elk walked out about 80 yards and stood broadside. My little carbine would have cleaned his clock at that distance. The 7mm mag knocked him flat.

Then I hunted years with that 7mm mag and it was a great deer rifle. I took a lot of deer with that rifle. But then everyone was getting a 300 Winchester Mag. And I really was not sure why?

But the kicker was I hunted a large open farm one year. The land owner used a Remington 243. I never saw one deer that walked off when he touched that trigger. And he did it at some impressive distances. I think that will be a great rifle for you.

Buglemintoday

Excellent pictures. That must be some great adventures you did there. Very impressive.]

Black Powder

The same, excellent photographs.

With the larger rounds(300wsm etc) it would be hard to find a bullet that isn't adequate for deer. With the 243 all a guy has to do is use a good 'big game' bullet & put it in the correct spot & you are fine. I usually compensate on the upper end with my 243 by using the 95 grain partition for deer hunting. I could step it down a bit & still be fine. I also have some 243 bullets that would be very inadequate for deer.

Back