Full bore 45 caliber bullet?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massbigbore442001

Reaction score
Hello All:

I love hunting with my 45 caliber compact muzzleloader. My go to bullet for it is the Powerbelt brand full caliber conical. The down side is that they are expensive. As a rule it seems like it is around a buck a bullet or more. So I am asking for some advice.

I am looking for a full 45 caliber conical bullet for my gun. I know I could use a sabot and shoot a 40 caliber bullet but hunting in Massachusetts has this regulation where the bullet must not be less than .43 caliber for deer. So in effect you cannot hunt deer with a 10 mm bullet in a sabot. So I need a bullet that is more economical to practice with and hunt. Any replies will be welcomed. Thanks

Both of These Shot Good for me, in my Sidelock Muzzleloader with OPEN SIGHTS

LKbZ8tyl.jpg

Y9JRUCzl.jpg

These little 200 Grain Hornady FTX did good as well

0cyMwOnl.jpg

kzVhFsOl.jpg

If it is Lead Conicals you are thinking about? I HIGHLY advise Bullshop, Dan makes an AWESOME Bullet, and understands the importance of Good Fill Out, and SHARP Bullet Bases. I can NOT Say that for anyone Else. You might Contact Dan of Bullshop and ask him what he offers in .45 Cal? And What size you need

https://bullshop.weebly.com/bullets.html

Can I ask, what make/model is a sub-compact 45 rifle? And will I find accurate weights at the mfg website, or can ask that also?

If you want to get into sabotless jacketed the Speer 260gr #4481 looks very promising and its VERY cheap. You will need an accurate way to size them and thats gunna run anywhere from about $125 to about $160 for the adjustable sizing die.

Lead conicals i would suggest the Gould 330gr HP cast in softer lead for around 345gr. Great smaller conical if not pushed too hard. Next step up would be something in the 380gr to 410gr range. Dan at BullShop has the Gould mold and a 420ish grain ML bullet mold. He also has a 410ish grain HP mold he can probably size for a ML. Those would be under $50/100 shipped last time i asked

Hello Four Bore:

I created it myself. It is a TC Contender with an 18 inch 45 caliber barrel and an AR style stock and grip.

If you go to Bullshop on the right side of the page is "more" scrolling down you will see 45cal.
https://bullshop.weebly.com/-45-caliber-cast-bullets.html
This is a known good shooter when correctly sized and cast in softer lead
45 Caliber ~ Lyman ~ 47122 ~ 330 grains ~ Gould ~ HP

This is the one i want to try someday. It should shoot in a 1-28 but im not 100% certain because i dont know the OAL. Its a long gone Lee mold and i cant even find a pic of the bullets.
45 Caliber ~ Lee Moulds ~ .457 ~ 405 grains ~ HP

When you look at Dan's pricing they are based on a particular alloy and bare. There is additional cost for other alloys, pure lead, sizing and lubes. All in all though the prices are as good as it gets. A few years back i emailed him about that .457 405gr HP bullet. 100 of them was under $50 delivered. That was sized to my specs and lubed....Ready to shoot. Since he has some ML bullet molds the price might be a little less. I would imagine they just go through a lube sizer in a single step and might even keep some on hand for the DWBs. The bullet i asked about probably needed an additional sizing step before being lubed.

Almost 5yrs ago it was $36.50/100 plus shipping for pure lead, lubed and sized. I just dug up the old email.

If you are dead set on using BH209 you want lead conicals to be around 1.5-2 thousandths over land size. You will want to try a couple different wads to see what works best for you. SageBrush .462x .060 veggie wads and 50cal unlubed wool for starters. .463x.060 poly wads might also work and they seal the tightest.

Your existing breach plug might be ok but im not that familiar with the old 209x45 Contender plugs. If its very similar to the Omega breach plug you should be ok.

Last edited:
Another vote for Bullshop conicals here! Dans .451 488gr bullets have put meat in my freezer for several years now. The buck to the left of this page dropped in his tracks from one of them!

Back