G2 v. Encore v. Omega ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hornsbyja

Reaction score
First post.....I've read and read but I haven't seen these compared in previous posts.

I LOVE my old, old, Contender but I need a ML for the late season. That old 357 max drives nails and drops deer where they stand :D

Other than cost difference and barrel options (I only need a ML), what are the pros and cons of each T/C model?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and for lending me the benefit of your experiences.

G2 is very light and kicks like a mule with any substantial load. Loaded down, it can still be plenty effective with well placed shots. I had to get radical on scope selection and positioning.
49G2Millett1.jpg

I've put a Limbsaver on my G2 since I've shot the rifle - might now be able to tolerate more power. TC made a serious mistake by abandoning the .45 barrel for the G2. The .50 barrel is a retrofit with an almost bizarre breech plug. The recoil of a .45 is PLENTY from that little rifle.

49Enc-G2-med.jpg

The G2 offers an advantage beyond its smaller size and weight (which yield quick handling and easy carry) and that is the firing pin selector on the hammer. Rimfire barrels are easily installed. The Encore would require an aftermarket firing pin assembly as well as a custom barrel for rimfire use. The flexibility of barrel interchange is probably no greater with one model vs the other, but of course the Encore's beefier build can withstand considerably more potent calibers. NEITHER rifle offers what I consider to be good recoil handling (I'm a large person and neither gun has a stock design that fits me particularly well). The new Encore ProHunter's stock would surely be and is reported as much better in that regard.

The Omega has undergone some design changes since I owned one or three :) . The design of the firing pin assembly is now simpler and newer models incorporate a downward vent hole behind the breechplug. This apparently allows more blowback to escape the action and, though it is pointed downward, has been reported to cause deposits on scopes. The Omega has a much simpler action design than either of the other two models under consideration. The rifle also has much less so far as aftermarket support for easily done improvements. Make SURE, should you get an Omega, that your specimen has a good trigger. The trigger is not easily adjusted and it is my understanding the trigger/hammer assembly must be replaced as a complete and expensive unit. One bad move in any attempt at trigger improvement could be costly.

The Omega's small trigger guard is a problem for some of us. It may be the positioning of the trigger hand or size or both, but some of us take a beating from that guard. It aint funny! :) I had hoped TC would redesign the Omega... perhaps an Omega Mag or some such that would address that problem but it appears that won't happen. The trigger guard is something to check out on the other two models as well. Both the G2 and the Encore have trigger stop screws mounted in the guard. Check to make sure there are no sharp edges or protrusions on the rear of that area of the guard. Even a small imperfection in finish there CAN result in blood loss. :oops:

I've owned two or three Omegas, 3 Encores, and one G2. I still have the G2 and one of the Encores. The G2 is absolutely my favorite between those two rifles and, even though it has painfully gotten my attention more than once :shock: :D , it's a definite keeper.

Underclocked,

Thanks for the info.

I have a question about this:
TC made a serious mistake by abandoning the .45 barrel for the G2. The .50 barrel is a retrofit with an almost bizarre breech plug.

What makes it bizzare? Is it problematic, difficult to remove?

I have also heard that the Omega breech plug can be hard to remove if you have a scope mounted.

It's interesting that you've owned 2/3 Omegas but don't have them anymore...did you have trigger problems or just need to reduce your inventory?

Anyway...I guess I'm leaning towards the G2 simply because my old Contender barrels will fit - not that I swap them often.

The .50 barrels for the G2 are basically cutdown versions of an Encore .50 barrel. The reduction in diameter needed to make the larger barrel fit the action results in a two-diameter barrel with the step being at the forward end of the action. I don't own one but this was described to me in some detail. Was also told the breech plug is a unique design of at least 3" in length (it extends past the step). I've not personally inspected one. I believe it was also necessary for TC to make/have made a special scope base for the .50 barrels. If anything, weight of the .50 is somewhat less than the .45. Lack of weight in that small rifle equates to a lack of good recoil handling - a problem only made worse by the larger bore and its potential loads.

The .45 barrels fit perfectly with no radical adaptation required. The lines of the rifle are good and handling is a treat. Proportions of the .45 G2 are/were correct in more ways than geometry. If anything was to be changed, beyond making the rifle available in stainless, the addition of a .32 caliber small game barrel would have been a good move IMHO. There seems to be a growing interest in such smaller caliber rifles.

The reason I no longer have an Omega is simple. I never met one I liked. :)

other than Rich. :wink:

Underclocked,

Spent some time looking also and couldn't find spare G2 breech plugs either. The Thompson catalog shows 7769, for Black Diamond and Woods, and 7763, for Omega and Encore, but has no mention of a G2 breech plug.

Don't you have to replace the breech plug periodically?

I wonder if the 'adapted' 50 cal barrel causes any accuracy problems for G2?? Mostly you hear rave review about accuracy....this afterthought 50 cal concerns me.

With a 3" breech plug and the QLA, would the rifled length of the 24" barrel be something less than 21". This probably causes more reduction in accuracy than the action-to-barrel fit.....looks like the Encore 50 cal has, what, 3" more rifling?? Maybe that's not significant - I'm certainly no expert.

You can get G2 Contender spare plugs but all the ones I find are for the .45 caliber. The .45 plug is about half the length of the one for the .50.

Yes, loss of barrel length can be significant when you cut roughly 4" of rifling from a 24" barrel. My 209x45 does very well though. This is just one of those "proportional" concerns I mentioned. TC screwed up what was perhaps the sweetest little .45 cal inline muzzleloader on the market.

And yes, plugs need to be replaced periodically. The flash holes tend to burn out and enlarge over time - some faster than others. It's a very good idea to always buy two or three spare plugs for any rifle you might own - especially if that rifle uses something unique as does the G2 .50 cal.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... =000307743

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=171690 Midway always seems to have only 1 available. ;) At least they picture the correct plug. Midsouth shows an incorrect plug but at least they show a plug - unlike NatchezSS http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... dID=TC7743 :lol:

Edit: found a comparison/representation of the two at none other than TC's website (manuals). The 45 plug is poorly represented but the relative size of the two caliber's plugs is apparent. The same is true for the barrels themselves - the .50 barrel retrofit of an overly large barrel to the frame couldn't be better illustrated...

2004155538242864501_rs.jpg

Take a hard look at the trigger stop screw you can see clearly in this image. IMHO, the inclusion of that screw is a nice feature - rarely if ever needed, but nice. However, the contact of that screw (or the surrounding metal if not adequately polished smooth) into the upperside of your middle finger is not too cool. :shock:

I would not hesitate to recommend the G2 209x45 if you can find one. Loads of fun to shoot and overall an excellent rifle.

Underclocked,

Thanks for your help.

I agree that the G2 209X45 would be a good gun and I have found a couple at reasonable prices. Unfortunately, I think Indiana regulations ("Saboted bullets are allowed, provided the bullet is .357 caliber or larger.") would really restrict my options in a 45 caliber. As far as the 50 cal, I really don't care for the 'after-thought' fit of the barel to the frame nor the extended-length breech plug.

Unless some Omega fan can convince me the triggers aren't a concern, I guess I'll go with the Encore. They aren't much more money and the options are far greater anyway.

Thanks again!!

BTW - I know what you mean about the trigger screw...my old Contender has the same screw and it knows my finger well.

Back