30 caliber smokeless muzzleloader build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is gun and bullet evolution. Brains think and tinkers tinker. Machinists make metal things for guns. Getting a 30 cal smokeless muzzy opens the door to how many bullets that are available? Dozens? scores? maybe hundreds! That's why.
Keep at it.
Lol I am a tinkered by nature which makes me think about how things work and why.
I just happen to make my living as a nuclear energy and steam turbine machinist. I've seem things in that world that directly apply to the combustion cycle of a fire arm.

In fact the action is not blueprint.
I did square up the factory lug on sand paper and glass a poor man's surface grinder.
It's straight from the pawn shop.
I did take great care in setting up to do the ID work on the barrel getting the rifling peaks dialed in within .0001 " as spun in the lathe.
It took me a couple days to set up in my spare time.
The charges are auto thrown on a Lyman auto scale there not weighed as precisely as I've been doing for match charges.
The bullets are box to sizer to gun not sorting yet.
I'm so far from done it's a game changer for sure.
The accuracy is only going to improve from here.
I belive the light thin j-4 jackets are the key.
I tried several iterations of hand made bullets that didn't work very well but I may revisit with the heavier charges.
Congratulations on your 30 Cal. Muzzleloader build! I think its friggin awesome! :2cool::lewis:

Congratulations on your 30 Cal. Muzzleloader build! I think its friggin awesome! :2cool::lewis:
Thsnk you shot most of the day today I'm encouraged by today's results.
I 4198 is doing okay and shows up sometimes with good results I think n 120 may be a better choice for consistency though.
Today's best group which is good but inconsistent.
20240526_183827.jpg
I tried n120 late today right before dark
33/34/35 ladder test.
Velocities of 2990/3058/3109
I'll shoot a group in the day light tomorrow at 34 grains.
This is all new territory so its speculation educated guesses quick load data load data from cartridge cases of similar volume
So it's not lost on me the risk of what im doing.
With that said a project if this nature as cutting edge as it is. Has in it inherent dangers.
Any one following this post in the future please use the Data with exstream caution and work up slowly.

Today was another learning day

Loaded up 12 shots with 34 grains n120 fed 210 lrp no wad
3 each 115 berger target bullets
115 Sierra varmint bullet
110 varmagedon bullet
125 tnt varmint bullet
Decent results for just out the gate.image_cropper_1716847692073.jpgimage_cropper_1716847757317.jpgimage_cropper_1716847827100.jpgimage_cropper_1716847891312.jpg

Any of the 4 bullets would be satisfactory
One thing I've found is that the bullets require a heavy loading force. I think i need to make a ramrod suitable to measure the force with the load force gauge.
I'm thinking that I may need to investigate the wads a little more closely.
I'm hesitant as the testing has shown plain bullets to be more accurate.
The 125 TNT showed the first stages of higher thatcid like pressures with slightly flattened primmers I think I'd be better served with a lighter charge in the 31/32 grain weight and velocity of 2850 /2900
Smokey

Since I like to stir the pot, and plant seeds of ideas in other peoples heads....

Wonder what you could do with the .30 -> .224" sabots ... you should be able to push 4000fps with a 60-70gr bullet...
You just opened a new rabbit hole for me, Steve :drool: In all my years of reloading I never knew they made a 30/.224 Sabot until now. I already checked it out at EABCO along with the load data, pretty cool:lewis: Got my interest, I just might have to get some! Thanks!

You just opened a new rabbit hole for me, Steve :drool: In all my years of reloading I never knew they made a 30/.224 Sabot until now. I already checked it out at EABCO along with the load data, pretty cool:lewis: Got my interest, I just might have to get some! Thanks!
We tried some of those in the ‘90s and never could get them to shoot worth a darn. But it’s worth a try….

Now I remember, Remington made the Accelerator, maybe why they don't make it anymore 🤣 But I think I would like to experiment with the .308 & see what I can come up with.
I actually have some and am going to visit that idea with a full form die.
If I can get them pushed down it might just work

Ok tge sun did come up and I did go shoot!
I'm supper impressed with full form dies right now.
Benifits:
Easier to load
Higher velocity
Better seal
Better ignition
Best numbers I've seen on the chrono.
Accuracy on par with the smooth size right out the gate.
Solved alot of my perceived issues
I shot 3 varmagedon 110 with 35 grains of n120 where as I shot 34 yesterday.20240528_072646.jpg20240528_073024.jpg
Right at an inch
The die was made with an old piece of
Barrel I had laying around just so happens the drop fits all of the barrels in my shop that I'm playing with right now.
I'm sure it's not ideal but keeps me going till my swinglock gets here.

Benifits:
Easier to load
Higher velocity
Better seal
Better ignition
I shot 3 varmagedon 110 with 35 grains of n120 where as I shot 34 yesterday.View attachment 44447View attachment 44448
Right at an inch
Barrel I had laying around just so happens the drop fits all of the barrels in my shop that I'm playing with right now.
The group is good for just getting started, the SD is outstanding.

Benifits:
Easier to load
Higher velocity
Better seal
Better ignition
I shot 3 varmagedon 110 with 35 grains of n120 where as I shot 34 yesterday.View attachment 44447View attachment 44448
Right at an inch
Not Bad! Not Bad at All!! :bravo:

It may be comparing apples to oranges, but Thomas made me a full form die for a .451 barrel. I later got over a hundred copper bullets (now discontinued) from a guy who was smooth sizing them for a .458 barrel and had become disgusted with them because he always had a flyer in his groups. After getting the Swinglock FF die adjusted for a snug load, there were no flyer's in my groups. MOA is the boring norm.

It may be comparing apples to oranges, but Thomas made me a full form die for a .451 barrel. I later got over a hundred copper bullets (now discontinued) from a guy who was smooth sizing them for a .458 barrel and had become disgusted with them because he always had a flyer in his groups. After getting the Swinglock FF die adjusted for a snug load, there were no flyer's in my groups. MOA is the boring norm.
I am thinking I need a full form 45 would open the door to excellent mono bullet use.
I'm a big fan of barnes bullets really what this is all about to get a 110 to 130 grain barnes at somewhere north of 2900
I did manage to push ax130 thru the die but it's not sizing down enough. May have to wait on swinglock die

Learning alot with this project
Anyone have any insight as to a press that will size the monos a little easier that has more leverage without costing a fortune?
I'm using a tiny rcbs partner right now.
Thought about an arbor press also.
Nine ring and I have discussed the merits if each type. So I'm open to suggestions of those that have full formed a bit.
Using Lyman bullet lube and that helps.

I Have a Hornady Iron that is a heavy-duty brute which might do the job for you. In the attached picture its the one on the right. Is selling at Midsouth Shooters right now for $289.99 on sale! The one on the left is a Mec Marksman Also a little brute and goes for $239.99 at Midsouth also. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_2078.jpg
    IMG_2078.jpg
    923.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back