Getting Prepared and Organized

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTR2133

Reaction score
This may seem like a weird post/question to some. In the past, when I go to the range or a makeshift target range to sight in or re-check zero the next year, I feel like it takes me forever. I have almost all my ML stuff in a fanny pack historically. I just feel like a disorganized idiot sometimes, which I'm not. I'm pretty OCD about most things, which is why this feeling of range anxiety bugs me so much I think. I almost always am rushing to get done before it is too dark. I'm tired of it and am committed to stepping up my game so that I enjoy shooting more and do it more frequently. I can tell from some threads on here that some of you hit the range often and spend quite a bit of time when there, so I'm sure there are some efficiencies and tips you can share!

So, here goes, how do you guys keep all your ML crap organized at the range and at home? I'm wanting to get some sort of hard box or container that is a range container that I can grab and know that I have everything I need at the range and not have to fumble through it to find a items. Recommendations?

Do you take a separate cleaning/range rod that is longer, faster, etc? I know sometimes my ramrod is tough to clean with bc it doesn't have a handle or will get stuck with not enough rod for me to get a firm grip, etc. I've thought about having my main gun-cleaning rod set up so I don't have to mess with using my ram-rod to swab between shots.

What is your between shot intra-group process? What is your process between groups? I know you should swab between each shot, which I have always done. But, if I'm messing with loads, which I've never done, what is a good process to be efficient at the range? 3 shot group, swabbing between ea shot, then break-down and clean thoroughly, next group for next load variation, repeat?

What if anything do you do at home to make your time at the range on the bench more enjoyable and efficient?

I'm taking an entire day off work next week and going to a legit range and I'm going to spend some serious time with my ML working to find my best load within the choices I've made.

T7 FF loose powder, Hornady 45XTP in 300 and 250, Cheap Shots, and maybe one other bullet if I can find it in stock.

Thanks for any input!

I take two range bags. They are tool bags with lots of shallow pockets so i can see what is in each one and nothing shifts around. But one bag is just the bare minimum basics that i know i will use that trip, easy to find stuff. I set it all up on my shooting bench. The second bag holds all the additional supplies, tools, bullets i may want to try, different wads or lube. But i leave that behind the the line so i can peruse it during target checks. See if there is something else i want. Being able to see everything in the bag(or box) is important so you arent rooting around making a mess, unpacking, repacking... When you should be shooting and focused on what you're doing.

Thanks for the replies, shortly after posting this last night, I found some old threads with pics of some other folks setup. Holy crap, put me to shame!

I’ll break it down getting ready. The 1st order is to sigh-in/ check the zero of the gun I’ll hunt with, Knight 45 Elite normally. If things go well, it’s just a matter of a handful of shots.

For hunting I charge my clean gun & have my ‘speed-loaders’ set up. A 3 day hunting trip usually isn’t more than a few shots, coyotes are targeted also.

I like to do all my setup at home, powder charges, bullet readiness, primers, whatever. When I hunt, everything I need is one small bag, beside the gun itself.

I’ll break it down getting ready. The 1st order is to sigh-in/ check the zero of the gun I’ll hunt with, Knight 45 Elite normally. If things go well, it’s just a matter of a handful of shots.

For hunting I charge my clean gun & have my ‘speed-loaders’ set up. A 3 day hunting trip usually isn’t more than a few shots, coyotes are targeted also.

I like to do all my setup at home, powder charges, bullet readiness, primers, whatever. When I hunt, everything I need is one small bag, beside the gun itself.

Thanks, that is what I do for hunting as well. It is the times where I change something and need to shoot more rounds that I feel all out of sorts.

My powder is all in an old ice chest that’s missing a lid, my projectiles in another tote that has a lid, my tackle box has all my caps, primers, tools to dismantle the rifles, ramrod extensions, cleaning jags and brushes etc... I throw all three in the truck and head out.
I know from experience that it stinks to get out to the range and realize you don’t have a capper, or the specific powder you wanted to try, or powder measure or...

I use a carry on size luggage bag when I go. It holds targets, powder, powder measure, bench rest bag, a towel, my ball starter, bullets, primers, a plastic funnel, sabots, patches and other CVA stuff (drill, needle and cap remover). This is organized by putting all the small stuff into reusable bags and then putting those bags inside the suitcase.

The rifle is in a case with a homemade range rod. allen wrenches and coins in the pocket for my scope. Plus my ear protection.

It's actually kind of annoying having to lug a suitcase but it does keep me organized.

I'll spend a good half day at the range and usually leave when the range closes or I run out of ammo. In between each and every shot I swab the barrel. I also remove the breach plug and run a drill down the hole and a needle down the smaller hole.

Latest posts

Back