Getting the body in shape

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
What do ya'll do to get the body tuned up for deer season? Personally Ma and I walk a couple miles just about every day and soon we'll start adding some hills to the walks. Often times on decent fall days we'll hit some of the regional parks with hills and trails. This year I'm going to toss parking ramps in the mix. We've got tons of parking ramps here in town what with Mayo Clinic and some of these are ten stories. What better place to walk when the weather stinks.

I hunt on a mountain more or less and use switch-backs to get to the stand. I have lung disease and have the trail pretty much down pat as to where my stops need to be. Thank God I have a couple of inhalers that help my lung function while walking and climbing or all I'd be able to do is read about deer hunting. Still, daily walking is a must to maintain lung function for me and sometimes stairs are too aggressive, but walking the inclines found in those parking ramps seem to not be an issue. Ma enjoys the public library [as I do] and while she snoops I do the ten stories of the attached ramp twice, then join her. I'm in shade and I stay dry if its raining. Any others here have some tricks to staying in shape?

Ha, I'm still recovering from an aneurysm in my leg. Changed the oil in my quad and aired the tires to get ready. I guarantee I won't be dragging anything dead more than a few yards.
I can't take the Jeep CJ because I can't bend my leg enough to get to the clutch. Getting old sucks.

We go to the gym at least three times a week. Swim indoors, hot tub and stream sauna to loosen muscles.
The indians would get in a sweat hut to remove human scent before a hunt. So that's my motivation.

I work out 8-9hrs/day 6days/week as an RV mechanic. Lots of ladder climbing and situps (from a creeper). Then after that i workout 2-4 hrs in the evenings 6-7 days a week as a boat mechanic. Mostly balance training (off the back of pontoon boats) doing reps and curls (changing parts and torqing bolts), with some inversion training (upside down in hot engine compartments looking for wrenches or parts i dropped). After that i cool down with some hydration(beer) and a good read(this forum)

As we get older everything gets harder to do. I try to walk as much as possible. Park as far away from stores and walk. Mow grass with a push mower. Keep that body moving!

i walk everyday and every other day do a 30-40 minute session with stretches, light weights and resistance bands. With temperatures in the 90’s and high humidity this month, I’ve shortened my walks but try to do shorter ones at a better pace.

After this year's corrective knee and shoulder surgeries, After the rehab, I will start using a backpack daily increasing a few ounces of weight to simulate a back country trek with an elk quarter.

Just had my right knee replaced on Aug 9th. Our bow season starts the first Sat in October. Started home PT the 10th and start outpatient PT the 1st. Figure over the next 4 weeks, with PT 3 times a week and walking in between, I will be in pretty good shape to at least walk to and from a blind. Doc said no tree climbers this year.
John

Cutting Firewood. It works ya out well :lewis:

ANlCf6N.jpg

I work out 8-9hrs/day 6days/week as an RV mechanic. Lots of ladder climbing and situps (from a creeper). Then after that i workout 2-4 hrs in the evenings 6-7 days a week as a boat mechanic. Mostly balance training (off the back of pontoon boats) doing reps and curls (changing parts and torqing bolts), with some inversion training (upside down in hot engine compartments looking for wrenches or parts i dropped). After that i cool down with some hydration(beer) and a good read(this forum)
Lol, I was just about to post that I get all the working out I need on my RV. And it is a workout!
Neil1628948646834.jpg

Just had my right knee replaced on Aug 9th. Our bow season starts the first Sat in October. Started home PT the 10th and start outpatient PT the 1st. Figure over the next 4 weeks, with PT 3 times a week and walking in between, I will be in pretty good shape to at least walk to and from a blind. Doc said no tree climbers this year.
John
Hang in there, it gets better everyday! I had both done the end of January. A little rough at first but I can already walk a couple miles and stay up on my feet most of the day pain free!
Neil

Latest posts

Back