Getting the body in shape

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Neil, walking around today I noticed my ankle looks like a balloon, ice and rest now.
Yeah, ice and rest are your friends. Lean into the therapy but don't over do it! Good luck!

Treat yourself to a nice tailored suit for the reunion!
Funny you mention that. An old GF suggested I buy new clothes that are too small to fit into. She said I'd get tired of looking at those new clothes and decide to lose weight so I could fit into them. Sounded like a huge gamble. I went from 230 lbs to195 lbs in about three months. Size 40 waist to a 36. About another 20 lbs would be great.

Cut another load of Wood this morning at Daylight, PREMIUM Tamarack :lewis: You sweat 2 or 3 times with Firewood :)
IGULbje.jpg

I work out 8-9hrs/day 6days/week as an RV mechanic. Lots of ladder climbing and situps (from a creeper). Then after that i workout 2-4 hrs in the evenings 6-7 days a week as a boat mechanic. Mostly balance training (off the back of pontoon boats) doing reps and curls (changing parts and torqing bolts), with some inversion training (upside down in hot engine compartments looking for wrenches or parts i dropped). After that i cool down with some hydration(beer) and a good read(this forum)
That’s my kinda workout.

Cut another load of Wood this morning at Daylight, PREMIUM Tamarack :lewis: You sweat 2 or 3 times with Firewood :)
IGULbje.jpg
It can wear you out for sure. We can only get to pinion pine and juniper in these parts. The juniper splits super easy, just a light axe blow takes care of that stuff. Pinion, not so much. Juniper is damn hard on chains though.

Not exactly doing it just for hunting but my Wife and I started getting in better shape last fall, being healthy in retirement is my main goal. I dropped 50+ lbs and I am now running 4-5 miles at least 3 times a week. I'm lifting weights and putting on muscle. I don't do any programs, I just try to eat healthy and exercise. I treat myself when I want too. Sugar is my worst enemy and I avoid it like the plague. I just hope some of my hunting clothes fit. :cool:

Not exactly doing it just for hunting but my Wife and I started getting in better shape last fall, being healthy in retirement is my main goal. I dropped 50+ lbs and I am now running 4-5 miles at least 3 times a week. I'm lifting weights and putting on muscle. I don't do any programs, I just try to eat healthy and exercise. I treat myself when I want too. Sugar is my worst enemy and I avoid it like the plague. I just hope some of my hunting clothes fit. :cool:
Good for you! That’s incredible! I look at recent photos of me and wonder who’s the old fat guy with my wife.
I’d like to drop 15-20 so I could see my own…..feet.

Went on the "plant paradox" diet and lost 40+LBS... arthritis was getting me... the diet stopped it in its tracks too. If I'd adopted it sooner in life, I'm convinced I would be better off. The Plant Paradox diet (Dr Steven Gundy) Increased my ability to stay on my feet and work. And eliminated brain fog I'd been fighting as I aged. There's a lot to the diet, but staying away from wheat, corn, soy, raw nightshades and any GMO plant (or meat that was fed them) is a big part of it. Not taking the NSAID's I was prescribed for the arthritis pain is part of the diet and has worked! The diet alone has really helped me.

Putting off surgery on my right shoulder to deal with arthritis in the "AC" until after hunting season (and the busiest time of the year for the business). But I'm more active now than I was before I adopted the diet.

Work out x2 per week. Calisthenics, dumbbell routines. Stretch everyday. Had to cut back on walking because of bone spurs they can cause me problems distance hunting. Getting old is great. Joking aside it`s by Gods grace I have made it this far. No complaints.

Any day I do not have DOMS, I first begin to wonder what is wrong, then it dawns on me that I do not hurt from the day before.

I still do my push-ups and sit-ups every morning after a warmup and stretching routine suggested by my Spartan competitor daughter in law. I’m probably about 15# overweight but I’m not worrying about it. I’m an old guy, and I’ve had a few injuries and surgeries, but I feel good and I keep moving no matter what happens. Keep moving. (The secret to that is a younger wife…) 75 years old and I haven’t retired yet, I’ll rest when I’m dead.

I retired at 55 in March of 2007. Since retirement I have learned what work is. I am building a small barn for goats and chickens. It will be post frame. I hand mixed and poured 70 some 80 pound bags of cement a couple of weeks ago. Today I spent packing rough cut 6X6 10' posts that must have weighed 100 pounds each. I was fitting them to the brackets in the concrete. If it does not rain, tomorrow I start framing.

This is my side job that I am doing in between getting the other house ready to sell. We cannot sell it until the goats move here.

This house 3 years ago was a disaster. I raised it 10 feet, poured a basement underneath it, and put on a 24X30 addition with a wrap around porch. There are a few floor joists and rafters left from the old house. Everything else is new. The basement ceiling is at 8' and the utilities are run between the floors.

I hired help when necessary, but for the most part I have been the laborer. I hired a house mover to raise the house and pour the basement, but he turned out to be a crook, and I let him go while the house was in the air. Silly him, he did not think I could move and lower the house myself. I did have a good carpenter help me after the house was down. He really saved me when it came to framing and roofing. I did the 400 amp electric and hired a plumber.

I have set the place up so that I can go quite some time without power. I have two 2100 gallon cisterns, one off the well and another off the spring. I have back up propane heat that does not require electric. Power goes out fairly frequently here. I am the last place on the power and the mail route.

This is the third place I have done since 2007. In my spare time I ran a gun store until last March. I intend to die here. This winter I hope to start the shop.

I retired in 2005 at age 51 (love gov't retirement) and I ride my bike 2 hours every morning that I'm not shooting or hunting. I weigh the same as I did 20 years ago. I stay in shape all year for hunting. Here in NM, dove, squirrel and grouse starts in Sept. Deer in Oct. Elk in Dec. Javelina and oryx in Jan. Barbary sheep in Feb. and ibex in Mar. Turkey season starts in April. During the summer I backpack. I'm not sitting around during my retirement.

Before my knees got arthritic and I tore my miniscus, I walked 3 miles in 45 minutes carrying a 45 lb. pack. It is the Forest Service test for fire fighters. It builds the calf muscles you need for climbing. When I went to that instead of running, I did much better hiking in the mountains, and my calves never burned going up hills. When packing out 80 or 100 lbs of elk, my shoulders didn't hurt from the pack straps. But, it was hard on my knees.

Latest posts

Back