Gonna try something

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Dave stated AKA "Cayuga" stated. Man how we sure miss him! Hopefully he's out shooting ML's up in heaven! Like Dave, my experience as well as my grandsons you don't need a lot of powder to humanly bring down deer. Keeping in mind if your ML is around 1000 FPS, you should be good for up to 100yds. I know my grandsons have used 50gr of 777-3F and 350gr HP conicals, but due to their age we keep their shots around 50yds. All the deer they have shot were either DRT or within a few yards. My older grandsons have used 60-65gr of 777-3F with my 465gr conicals and up to 80 yards have died right were they were standing. I think Dave mentioned in one post a while back that he used 65gr (Forget what powder) with a 465gr conical and it traveled 8 inches into a piece of wood. I think that proves you don't need a lot of powder.

Always thinking of you Dave!! Rest in Peace my Friend!!

Back in the 60's when I started muzzleloading we used those kind of loads and round balls when sabots came out we started with lead bullets and those kind of loads. It was kind of like bow hunting you need to be an excellent tracker and plan on having the deer run for 100 to 200 yds. a good part of the time. The reason some of us like lots of lead or high velocity special muzzleloading bullets is for the stopping power they have with a correctly placed shot.

Back