Good news from the post master

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Went to get the mail this morning and was talking to the post master, I will be hunting his property this november. Anyways, his buddy was hunting some days ago and nailed a 6x5 bull.

I think my chances of getting a cow are pretty good now that the snow has started to fall.

Good luck in your elk cow hunt. What rifle and load are you going to be using?

CVA Optima with the 348gr HP Powerbelt and 90gr pyrodex P. This load shows to be 10.5" low @ 200 yards but i dont plan on pushing a shot that far.

Taking the rifle out right now to do some shooting in the cold/snowy/wet weather we're having right now.

Figures that nice snow would turn to rain as soon as i got outside :lol: Just my luck.

Anyways i got my target set up and this huge cloud dropped right in to the fall and it was pretty amazing shooting in that and just beautiful.

This morning i ran a windex dampened patch down the bore followed by 3 dry patches and loaded up.

First shot is the highest to the left, second shot is the bottom right and the 3red shot is the bottom left.

Barrel was allowed to cool for a couple minutes between shots.

1 3/8" for 100 yards is my most consistent shots with the rifle as of now and its done and ready for fat cow season.
Picture012.jpg

Nice shooting FG and congrats on your new spot.
You can go postal out there :?
Thats a sweet looking rifle
My old Optima is coming back to me

I hope you get it back in good shape. That will be a fun rifle to play with.

Already saw one road hunter driving the main roads by the property so i think he has someone hunting or scouting already.

All i want is just to see some elk during this hunt.

I am going to take this set up to my sisters on the 23rd and have my brother in law sight it in for his eyes as the fool has plans on using his 22-250 with a 40 grain bullet :lol: He says 'I'll just shoot it in the head!!, Im sitting there thinking, dude ive been hunting with you since i was 12 years old and i only seen you shoot 3 animals in those 12 years.

Almost forgot, Those scope caps i bought worked perfect at keeping the rain out. The Bushnell scope is also the first scope i ever used that didnt fog up from the heat coming off of my eye. I remember hunting with my 30-30 and the simmons scope Always would do that crap to me on a cold day.

The bushnel has rainguard doesn't it?
So he's going to make a head shot, :? :? :? OK!!!!!!!

well all be darned, i just read the box and it is fog/waterproof.

Yeah 40grain bullet on solid head bone didnt sound right to me so i figure if i can talk him into going out to nra range and have him shoot it, he'll want to take it.

Back