New Mexico Elk Hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dom

Michigan, da Thumb
Supporting member
Reaction score
It's tough to draw a Bull Elk tag in New Mexico, as you do not get any yearly point advantage. Everyone starts with same chance every year. I've been applying for a few years, Muzzleloader, Rifle, Mobility Impaired . . . and coming up empty handed year after year.

About 10 years ago I hunted for Mule Deer there, and was impressed with how many Elk I saw, and thought, man I'd like to come back here and hunt Elk some day . . . well the years keep going by, you keep getting older, you may never draw . . .

So I bit the bullet and bought a private landowner Cow tag. I want to eat Elk, lol.

Great hunt, enjoyed the experience and the area i hunted around, Cloudcroft, New Mexico.

While stationed in Germany, I toured the Heym factory. Was impressed, and ordered a double rifle, a Model 26b over/under, in 8x57 JRS. As a break open, there is no action so it is very handy, plus you got two shots as fast as you can pull the trigger. It was regulated with Norma ammo, but I got a good reload for it using 200gr Accubonds and Reloader 15.

We saw a lot of Elk, and I was able to get a good Cow. With a lot invested I didn't leave much to chance on the shot, though the first shot was on the money and in the boiler room, the Cow ran so I shot it again. It ended up in a creek, running about 50 yards after the shots.

I'm looking forward to eating lotsa Elk this year, 210 lbs on the hook at processor. I had it processed and dry ice got it home and in my freezer no problem.

I hunted with STC Outfitting, Cloudcroft, New Mexico. Steve Connor is a straight shooter, and provides a fair and good hunt. Waidmannsheil, Dom.

Attachments

• 20231202_100242.jpg
    20231202_100242.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • HEYM 26b.jpg
    HEYM 26b.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231203_083358.jpg
    20231203_083358.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20231203_091523.jpg
    20231203_091523.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231203_101410.jpg
    20231203_101410.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20231204_184212.jpg
    20231204_184212.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
Congrats! Beautiful rifle!
From what I gather Heym doesn't have a worker to make them so for the moment they have stopped making them.

Sadly, Jim Parko in the youtube clip has passed away. I knew him quite well and he was at Heym and who I worked with in purchasing my o/u. He noted that currently the Heym factory does not have a dedicated worker to build the over and under. That is a shame, as I think it is an excellent rifle and should be in more hands. It was reasonably priced at under $3,000- which really says a lot as the Heym dangerous game side by side rifles cost 10k+ and up over 100k.

Congratulations on getting some good eating for your freezer with that beautiful rifle.
I grew up watching Tarzan movies and American Sportsman usually hosted by Curt Gowdy. Those double rifles (side by side) were always one of my dream rifles that I could never afford raising a family from a young age and now on a fixed income.

Some of you that are wanting a double rifle should look at some Valmet rifles also Tikka and Baikal/ Remington I own all three and they are all very nice and accurate. That is a nice elk and rifle elk are delicious

It's tough to draw a Bull Elk tag in New Mexico, as you do not get any yearly point advantage. Everyone starts with same chance every year. I've been applying for a few years, Muzzleloader, Rifle, Mobility Impaired . . . and coming up empty handed year after year.

About 10 years ago I hunted for Mule Deer there, and was impressed with how many Elk I saw, and thought, man I'd like to come back here and hunt Elk some day . . . well the years keep going by, you keep getting older, you may never draw . . .

So I bit the bullet and bought a private landowner Cow tag. I want to eat Elk, lol.

Great hunt, enjoyed the experience and the area i hunted around, Cloudcroft, New Mexico.

While stationed in Germany, I toured the Heym factory. Was impressed, and ordered a double rifle, a Model 26b over/under, in 8x57 JRS. As a break open, there is no action so it is very handy, plus you got two shots as fast as you can pull the trigger. It was regulated with Norma ammo, but I got a good reload for it using 200gr Accubonds and Reloader 15.

We saw a lot of Elk, and I was able to get a good Cow. With a lot invested I didn't leave much to chance on the shot, though the first shot was on the money and in the boiler room, the Cow ran so I shot it again. It ended up in a creek, running about 50 yards after the shots.

I'm looking forward to eating lotsa Elk this year, 210 lbs on the hook at processor. I had it processed and dry ice got it home and in my freezer no problem.

I hunted with STC Outfitting, Cloudcroft, New Mexico. Steve Connor is a straight shooter, and provides a fair and good hunt. Waidmannsheil, Dom.
Congratulations, I live in NM. Have drawn a few cow tags but have only taken a couple. the only bull tag I drew was a ML hunt which got rained out completely. I know how hard it is to draw anything here and feel lucky for getting the few tags I've had. Love your rifle

Congrats on your elk, Dom!

I was stationed at White Sands Missile Range for a couple of years, and bowhunted the Cloudcroft area extensively. Didn't get an elk, but I did kill a Pope and Young black bear. Beautiful, game-rich country.

A few years later, after I got out of the Army at the end of the Cold War, I went to work at Los Alamos National Lab, and did lots of elk hunting in the Sangre de Cristo north of Taos. Also game rich country, but it's very high and inaccessible wilderness. I killed three elk in that area with a compound bow.

Some of you that are wanting a double rifle should look at some Valmet rifles also Tikka and Baikal/ Remington I own all three and they are all very nice and accurate. That is a nice elk and rifle elk are delicious
If I ever get a double rifle it will be a SxS. I had a Baikal .45-70 but only for a month. It wouldn't shoot worth a darn. I think someone messed with the regulating screw.

If I ever get a double rifle it will be a SxS. I had a Baikal .45-70 but only for a month. It wouldn't shoot worth a darn. I think someone messed with the regulating screw.
I want one in 45/70 but i bought a 30/06 and it shoots very good I have a Valmet scope mount and Leupold scope . Did you try adjusting the barrels

I want one in 45/70 but i bought a 30/06 and it shoots very good I have a Valmet scope mount and Leupold scope . Did you try adjusting the barrels
Yes. In, out 1/4 turn at a time. My thought is that the previous owner got carried away and over torqued the screw and messed the barrel up. I got it because I shot my cousin's and put 2 rounds 1" apart offhand at 50 yards.

Congrats on the elk, I have not had a better plate of wild game than Elk. I hope to be in NM this fall after Mule deer myself.

Latest posts

Back