Got JERKY?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
My granddaughter was in Australia last semester for college.  She brought me back some Jerky.  She said as soon as she seen it she knew who would want to try some.....ME!  :twisted:

Kangaroo and Crocodile Jerky!  Taste pretty good too!!

:| ...Never tasted ? :scratch: jerky from a carnivore.  :face:

Every tourist down here has to have gator tail at a restaurant that offers it. I have eaten it several times (never at a restaurant) and the tail is white meat while most of the stuff served is the dark meat from legs, etc. It's not near as good. Gator tail tastes like tough frog legs. The best part of a gator is the cheeks (masseter muscles). It's white meat and tender too.

According to urban legend, you have eaten kangaroo if you ate a McDonald's hamburger about 10-15 years ago. I haven't eaten a McDonald's hamburger in almost 40 years. :barf:

gator is good. I had some years ago in jerked form ( not jerky but a wet cajun? style) really good!

I'll eat a 'roo long before a rat lol

Afrikaners in South Africa make biltong. Biltong basically is jerky. I've had beef biltong, Kudu biltong, ostrich biltong and other game derived biltong.
I could eat that biltong all day long!
They cut up the meat into strips, salt or otherwise cure it as it hangs in a room.
Ron

When I was in Namibia, most game animal carcasses belonged to the landowner. They marketed them in the capitol, Windhoek. The native trackers, driver, etc. would remove the guts, strip out the nasty stuff and hang pieces on the smooth (non-barbed) wire fences to dry in the sun. They would eat it the next day along with 'mealies' (yellow grits).
It looked very unappetizing. Biltong was almost exclusively for the wealthier people. It was highly prized by them.

After butchering a zebra, I saw the skinners cut all of the meat into strips for biltong. I said, "That will make some good eating." The PH said, "They won't eat zebra. That's for their dogs." They had a taboo of some sort to eating zebra.

A former co-worker, a girl from Florida asked me if I wanted some gator tail. I answered "Is THAT what you're calling it, now?"

-Joe

Well....the thing about jerky is there are a lot variations of flavorings and spices.  Both the Croc and the Kangaroo are good.  However, I prefer some good old "beef jerky" any day!  :D

JLBSparks said:
A former co-worker, a girl from Florida asked me if I wanted some gator tail. I answered "Is THAT what you're calling it, now?"

-Joe
If she went to school in Gainesville, that's exactly what she meant. ;)

Latest posts

Back