Got me a new shooter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnT

Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago I won a bid on Gunbroker for a new Knight KRB Blue/Black 50 cal. I won the action at $130. I just could not pass it up. It is just the plain Jane blued rife with black synthetic stock. I also decided this was a good time to try the .452- 250 gn Deep Curls that Saboloader and some others have been shooting. I really liked those photos Saboloader kept showing of the way they held up. So I got a box of them from MidSouth. After getting the rifle I gave it a real good cleaning and JB'ed the bore. I also got the Weaver mount system from Knight. I mounted the base and rings then lapped the rings in to the rifle. I mounted and boresigted a Leupold VariXII 4X12 on it and was then ready to shoot.

Last weekend I took it to the range and set up at 50 yards. I started initial sight in with some .452 - 250 grain XTP's, 100 gnV 777 2F, Win 209 primer and Harvester short black sabot. On the second shot I was a right of the bull about 1 1/2", close enough to start trying out loads. I bumped the charge up to 110 gnV and shot about 6 or 7 rounds, lost count since I was having just too much fun! The increase in charge seemed to move them a little more left of the 2nd sight in shot. Next I switched to the .452 Deep Curl and shot 2 rounds and they shot even closer to center. This is all on the bottom right target below. Switched to another target (middle right) and shot 5 more rounds with the 110grn load. The last shot loaded VERY hard for some reason, not sure why but it went high out of the group. By now I got a grin that you could not wipe off with a 2X4. :D I made one more scope adjust and fired 3 more of those wonderful Speer Deep Curls, Top target on right! :D 8) I was almost beside myself with those last 3 shots.

Today I went back out and it was really gusty at aound 15-20 mph. I set up the larger target with the plan to fire 3 or 4 at 100 yards then move it out to 150 and fire 2 or 3 more to see what the drop would be. The First 4 did not disappoint me at about 1/2" low from the 50 yard zero. I then tried one more but switched to a CCI primer because I was running low on the Win 209's. That is the high shot, I was a little surprised by that since it was a standard CCI. I then moved out to 150yrd and shot the last 3 tubes I had charged but used 3 more Win 209's. They are between 4 and 5 " low at 150yrds. I was pleasantly surprised by that. I think the deer are in trouble! :wink:

One big unexpected plus was that these rifles come with a 13 3/4" LOP and it fit me just right, no cutting this one shorter. And the rifle just "Feels Great" in my hands. I also noticed that I only saw the slightest hint of a crid ring and most times when swabbing I felt none. The trigger has some slack in it till the trigger shoe contacts the sear but it breaks crisp at about 3 1/2lbs and I think I will leave it as is. Overall I am really tickled with the rifle and I think I got it for a good price.

Here are the targets.
2005_07040001.jpg

The rifle.
2005_07040021.jpg

ShawnT

ShawnT

Well? :D I am thinking you might want to go hunting with that gun and load....

When you get your first shot into the sweet spot on a deer with those 250's you will be smiling all over yourself again.

Check out Ron's post in this thread...

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... hp?t=18708

This one traveled about 10' after being shot in the right chest area...

BloodSpatter.jpg

When I sight in I use a system called 'Point Blank Range'. I choose to use a 6" PBR, which means my shot will never be more than 3" higher than the cross hairs and never lower than 3" at the maximum PBR.

With the 110 grain load you are shooting... and using a 3" PBR you might want to be 2 7/8" high that should give you a max PBR range of 178 yards...

This ballistic sheet should be really close to what you are shooting from your KRB...

250SpeerGD.jpg

Shoot! I forgot to say nice looking outfit and what a great price!!!!

Saboloader,

This rifle came together so fast I did not have enough time to really think about the PBR. You are right I will need to raise POI just a little. I only had a little time this morning to shoot and I am leaving Wednesday morning for Southeast Ohio. I am not sure I will have time to shoot a couple rounds to change it, due to visiting family, but will try. Most of our shots are in the 30-130 yard range so it should be ok for now.

Thanks,

ShawnT

ShawnT

With that time frame - I would not touch it - there will be more trips to the range - that is for sure...

ShawnT

I agree with Sabotloader...dont change a thing for now. Those are some fine groups. :yeah:

The load and bullet should serve you very well even past 150 yards.

I like to check first shot point of impact after sight in on a clean or primer fouled bore depending on how you prefer to hunt.

GM54-120

Shot #1(5 o'clock in the red) on the 100 yard target is the first shot after primer fouling and #4 (cut out shot #1) was after we had a cease fire and other guys were changing targets, so it cooled down for a while. When I shot at 50 yards, I swabbed the bore, removed and cleaned the breech plug (I was curious to see how fouled it would be), and let the rifle completely cool down for about 30 minutes. Then shot that last group at the top right. First shot seems to go in the group each time so far. I only have 3 more Win 209's so I have to get some more tomorrow or see if Cabela's in Hamburg Pa has any on my way through. The rifle does seem to like them. But then again it only takes one, :wink: I can always use the CCI's to foul it with.

ShawnT

These rifles are shooters and you're right most of the time there is little or no crud ring using the W209 primers. I'm shooting 100 gr. T7 and the Barnes 290 TMZ and have shots touching at 50 yds. My gun is a stainless/black and has a Williams Peep on it.

Hornet22savage,

They are a little dirty from blow back. I might try playing with that after hunting season. I have been calling around and no one has any Win209's in stock here on the Island and Cabela's in Hamburg Pa don't either. :shock: :(

Great shooting & nice looking setup. I hope you score big in Ohio.

Be blessed.

Latest posts

Back