Grateful for today!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am not sure when I last had a weekend like this. My wife is out of town for business- usually I am the road warrior - and the kids are away, so the dog and I bugged out to our place in the mountains of western Maryland. Yesterday I spent some time on the range {there is a 100 yard public range 10 minutes from the house!} sighting in a couple of new guns. Today I spent time practicing with my saddle climbing system and my Summit climber…archery season starts next week. I also took some shots with the Deerhunter to test out the powder mixing idea. And when that was a bust, I just shot off some clips from my Ruger 10/22 because, why not!

In the meantime, I put in a “hidey hole” food plot, maybe an acre, that is nestled in the woods behind the house. I’ve always used corn to bring the deer in, but I wanted to try something different, so I have a field of brassicas coming in, and they look not bad for only having been in the ground a couple of weeks (photo below). Corn is still there, but I expect the veggies to be a bigger draw over time. And maybe even bring in some turkeys too. I resisted the temptation to sit in the blind and see what comes by this evening…why risk anything with the season only a week away…so I was a good boy and went to chainsaw open a trail that has been blocked since a tree fell. And, well, in summary, it is now time for a drink and a cigar with the dog passed out at my feet. I am grateful for the day I have had and for the fellowship of this community!

Attachments

• IMG_3492.jpeg
    IMG_3492.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
I'll drink to that!
A friend drew a turkey tag and came out yesterday for the opener. It took us about 30 minutes and in the third gully 500 yards from my house he bagged a nice Tom. He was a happy guy, first ever turkey. So we each had a shot of rotgut and paid no attention to the time being 9:10am.

Latest posts

Back