Great start to ML season in Va.!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bomtek44

Reaction score
Opening day was Saturday and found me perched 30 feet up a poplar tree at the head of a hollow flanked by small ridges of white oaks that were very heavy with acorns this year. At 9:11am I shot a nice large bodied 8 pointer five yards from my tree after he finished thrashing a smaller buck in the thicket below. 200 grain Shockwave, 110 grains 777 2f, and Remington Kleenbore primer, from the SS Disc Elite....did not need the range finder.

No hunting on Sunday, so Monday found me sitting on a white oak ridge overlooking a 150 yard deep and 300 yard wide broomsage field bordering a creekbottom filled with briers and honeysuckle. At 9:11 am I passed an 84 yard lazered shot on an eight pointer that was smaller than Saturday's buck. Had a spike walk under me at daylight. Decided to sit in my Summit until noon. At 11:20 I saw a deer walking toward me at 154 yards in the field edge. Up go the scope covers and low and behold, a high, wide, and handsome buck approacheth. I settled in and waited. All of a sudden he turned 90 degrees to the right and started walking toward the thicket, and in a couple of steps was behind some branches of two white oaks trees in front of my stand....panic sets in as I found a hole in the leaves and waited to see if he would arrive.....he did, but was disappearing over the knoll crest. The top third of the body was visible, so the Shockwave went on its way......no deer, standing, running, or laying in sight. Did I miss and had he jumped into the thicket unseen in the smoke. I was sick. I collected my thoughts, climbed down, and began the long walk.....as I crested the knoll, there he was........down and out with those beautiful mahogony antlers resting on the damp grass. 9 long points, 20.5 inch outside spread, and good brow tines.....what a day to remember! If someone will tell me how I will post pictures.

Thanks,

bomtek44

Congratulations on a very productive season. Great telling of the tale. That 200 grain Shockwave sounds like it really does the job on them big deer you have around there.

Did you get pass through with that 200 grain Shockwave at all? Thanks again for the great story. Any pictures of them deer?

Complete pass throughs on both shots....from 5 yards and 122 yards. I have used the 200SW exclusively in the Disc Elite. Always a sub one inch shooter for five shots and pass throught on all of the deer at all ranges.

I do hav pictures but do not know how to post them....any help appreciated!

Thanks,

bomtek44

CONGRATS

Can't wait to see the pics. Sounds like you had one heck of a opening weekend :yeah:

Good story and congrats on your results. The 200 shockwave's performance is impressive.

Congrats on the fine deer! Our oaks in Halifax Co. are barren of acorns this year :cry: . Where are you with all these acorns???

Oaks in Roanoke County and Craig are spotty. Some on low ridges, none up high. In Bedford County they fell like rain in Moneta and Huddleston. Most have been picked over now and even the cows have been in the woods gobbling them up.

bomtek44

Went to photobucket and got account. Still can't post pix. Can someone sent me a PM and I will email them to someone who knows how.

Thanks,
bomtek44

The pictures are the icing on the cake!

8 Point Taken 11-3 at 5 yards!
DeerHunting07015.jpg

9 point taken 11-5 at 122 yards

DeerHunting07026.jpg

DeerHunting07024.jpg

Congrats Gus! Both of those are beautiful bucks.

Both bucks are exceptional. congratulations on your buck and shot

Man I think I'll have to do some Va hunting sometime myself.

Again great job!!

Those are some exceptional deer you got there.. Congratulations.

Congrats on a fine buck..........i have seen some smaller bucks here in bedford cty but the acorns are everywhere.

Latest posts

Back