Green River Rifle Works makers marks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixer

Reaction score
I just picked up a Green River Rifle Works 54 hawken half stock with a makers mark of R.F.P. Can anyone identify this for me or tell me where to find the info?

R.F.P. = Ron Paull - its an early makers mark used, he now uses the P in an oval circle.

IMG_1122_crop-300x180.jpg

Thank you for the help.Cant post a pic right now but the mark is R.F.P. stamped semi-circular with R. being at the 10 oclock position,F. at 12 oclock and P. at 2 oclock right between the serial number[304] and the caliber 54.It was originally a flinter,converted to a caplock.The original lock comes with it and I will be putting it back on soon.The odd thing is that it is a right handed gun but the stock has a left handed cheek rest,not sure how that happened.Any ideas?How about the year it was made?When did Ron Paul work there?

Right hand cheek piece - Use to see this once in a while not unusual according to Carl Walker (customer request), left hand shooters but wanted the gun to look close to normal (giving the owner the choice down the road if he changed his mind - the cheek piece could be removed). According to Doc White there were requests for guns like this as well as normal cheek pieces or no cheek pieces. 

I contacted Carl Walker today to see who ordered <a href='/tags/304' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #304'>#304</a> and when it was built, he's on the road and will be home later today. We both agreed <a href='/tags/304' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #304'>#304</a> is in the 1975 - 1978 range (I'll let you know as soon as Carl gets home).

Your Hawken 1/2 stock rifle was built as a left hand flinter originally per Mr. Walker, there was a lot of discussions about a left hand flinter and a shooter getting sparks in their face. At the time right hand flintlocks were all there was, no one built a left hand lock.

Just before this gun was ordered Carl had built <a href='/tags/H300' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #H300'>#H300</a> Hawken 1/2 stock percussion for Robert Redford. The word got out about Redford's gun being built by GRRW and the orders started coming in for ones like it.

The original owner of <a href='/tags/H304' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #H304'>#H304</a> was Walter Taylor, Gig Harbor, WA - built in June 1976. No other information was recorded.

Wow. That is some fine detective work. That is an interesting gun. 

Say hi to Carl for me next time you talk to him?

Thanks for all the great information Buck!I live in Tacoma WA. a stones throw away from where the original owner live4d when he purchased it in 1976.The man I bought it from lives even closer than that and has had the rifle for many years but did not remember anything about who he bought it from.Would this rifle be any more valuable being as it was made for a lefty before left hand models were available?What do you think the value would be in very good condition?

Being made for a left hand shooter doesn't help the value (it may hurt the value a few bucks with the cheek piece being on the right side to some parties). Depending on its condition is what sets the value, I have seen them go for as little as $850 and as high as $1,500 - $1,800 in good used condition.

What's interesting is Hawken <a href='/tags/H304' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #H304'>#H304</a> was sitting next to these guns on a rack that were stolen, probably missed in the robbery.

Stolen-GRRW-rifles-Aug-76-Buckskin-Report.jpg

Great information Buck. I am curious. Was the Hawken built for Robert Redford the one he used in the movie Jeremiah Johnson?

I hope the OP can post some pictures. I would probably sand off the cheekpiece and refinsh the stock since I'm a "righty".

The rifle was a poor look-a-like if you will of a Hawken. The rifle Redford got was a copy of Bridger's early rifle that Carl Walker copied at the time. Not the late Bridger that was offered by the Wyoming Historical Society 5 years later built by GRRW. 

On Redford's gun one of the background actors told him if he wanted an excellent copy of a Hawken to talk to Greg Roberts (manager of GRRW).  Carl said Redford came in the shop and all the employees were like little kids when they saw him. He placed his order came out and meet everyone and they never saw him again in person. When the rifle was compete Doc White and Greg delivered it to Sundance UT, Redford's place to hang out.

I'll find you some pictures of a Hawken without a cheek piece.

Having a rifle without a cheekpiece wouldn't bother me at all. I have Traditions Springfield Hawken with no CP and it shoulders and aims just fine.

I just finished redoing a T/C Renegade that was a Kit Gun that someone sorta screwed up building. I redid the stock and browned all the metal to get rid of the halfassed bluing it had. It has no cheekpiece either and shoulders just fine.

So did Redford actually shoot for sport like the rest of us? I know a lot of actors are active shooters and supporters of gun rights. Not everyone in Hollywood is an idiot. But most are. :evil: :thumb down:

Fixer,

You have an interesting rifle.  I own Hawken SN 308 that was also built by Ron Paull.  The markings on the barrel are positioned the same as yours.
IMG_1120.jpg

As Buck said, GRRW built a number of left handed rifles, but they were limited by the available components back in the 1970s and had to compromise on some of their customer's requests.

Building a left hand rifle with a right hand lock was often one of those compromises.  Yours is the first flintlock I've heard of set up that way, but I know of several percussion arms they built like that.  I own a classic "Bridger" pattern Hawken with 1-1/8" barrel set up as a left handed rifle with right hand lock.
IMG_2033_2036.jpg

IMG_2045_crop.jpg

Ron Long had designed a left hand percussion lock and a left hand 1" breech plug by the beginning of 1977, but he never produced a left hand breech plug for a 1-1/8" barrel.  In this instance, GRRW's only choice to fill the customer's request was to build a left handed rifle with the right hand 1-1/8" breech and right hand lock.

The situation for your rifle was probably similar in that a suitable left hand flintlock may not have been available when your rifle was built.

Speaking of rifles with no cheek-piece, I have a GRRW Leman Indian Rifle that is left handed and has no cheek-piece.  Carl Walker says this was the way the customer ordered it.
IMG_2315_2321_low_res.jpg

For a while, GRRW advertised themselves as a "Custom Gun Shop".  Throughout their operations, they offered extra options that allowed customers to order customized rifles.  These left handed rifles fit in that category of custom guns.
Jul75_Buckskin_Report_ad.jpg

The rifle in my collection with the most custom features is a Leman half stock that is left handed, has the optional lower entry pipe and unique pewter nose cap, extra fancy wood, double set triggers, weeping heart inlays, and a square cheek-piece rather than the beaver tail that GRRW usually put on their half stock Leman rifles.
IMG_1615_1616_composite_copy.jpg

IMG_1599_edit.jpg

IMG_1601_copy.jpg

Did I mention the outstanding wood?

Phil Meek

There you go folks, Phil has made GRRW a dream come true, he has a very nice collection and lots of information as well as records from the old firm. Thank you Phil for filling in the gapes. 

As Buck said, GRRW built a number of left handed rifles, but they were limited by the available components back in the 1970s and had to compromise on some of their customer's requests.

Carl went right to the stolen gun list because of this serial number, close but no cigar. He said if Ron Long hadn't come up with a left hand lock there would have been more flint or percussion guns built with right hand locks. 

Carl, Les Bennett, Ron Paull and Doc will be back at work by the end of the month with UT muzzle loading season over. These guys and as old as they are just keep rolling along. I have a few more clients need guns built, the smith's will be busy until summer 2019.

Latest posts

Back