Grim Reapers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats cool,id be interested in seeing the results. if you know anyone who is looking for new carbon express 450 maxima arrows, i am selling 5 doz. witch are 3 dozen tiger blazer vanes,, and 2 dozen with feathers all 5 doz. were fletched with goat tuff glue..and im selling them 50 % below cost. if i find someone who wants all 5 i will give greater discount.these are new never hunted with.

How long is your nock and insert together? I figured around a half inch based on how long mine are. Also, do you have an insert weight? I figured that around 11 grains because that is what the program automatically gave me for those arrows but if it is different I can punch that number in manually. Anyways, based on this info my archery program is saying that your 450's at 28.5" raw shaft (no nock or insert calculated in length) are on the weak side as far as spine goes. You could shorten them some and that would stiffen them up, like one inch. I know some may disagree with me but I truly believe that when shooting fix blade broadheads you will get better flight and a better tune with an arrow that is on the stiffer side rather than the weaker. I have been to pro shops that say I need a .400 spine when in fact I shoot a .350 spine and it tunes and shoots fix blades like a dream. We obvisouly know that when a bow is shot the arrow flexes as it is shot and then recovers down range. A weaker spine arrow takes longer to recover but this tends not to be a problem field points but now throw on some wings (fix blades) and we see problems. I believe a stiffer spine does not flex as much and recovers sooner giving fix blade broadheads better flight and tuning. Just some of my thoughts. If you have information regarding your arrow like insert weight, arrow nock weight, and I think Carbon Express has a nock collar? What kind of flecthings? I may be able to give a more accurate spine that is needed but the rough info I used leads me to think you may be on the weak side. 340 fps is smoking and needs a nice stiff spine to keep those babys under control!

Oh and if you get on archery talk you would probably sell those arrows pretty fast.

the nock and insert are seprate the insert is incorparated inside the shaft itself from the factory,,yes it does have the red nock collars. as for the insert weight,,they really dont say,,they just say weight forward,guess id have to call carbon express to get that info. with the qad utra rest i cannot cut them back any more than they all ready are. if i do that,they would end up being before the rest,and not after. the fletchings are 2 inch tiger blazer vanes,,as well as 2 in. true flight feathers.

ok now run this info using a carbon express 350 maxima hunter arrows see what happens there,if you would be so kind.

Oh okay so they already came precut and inserts and everything installed. I just looked on Carbon Expresses website and their inserts weight 11 grains so the program was correct on that. Nock collars weigh 4 grains and nock weighs right around 10 grains. Give me a couple minutes and I will run it through. Carbon Express has a crazy way they run their spine numbers. The CX 350 is actually a .337 spine while the 450's are a .298 spine. Just label them what they are! Haha.

Okay, ran it through. With your set-up at 70 pound draw weight, 31" draw length, 340 ibo on the Z7 Magnum with the CX Maxima hunters at around 28.5" raw shaft length, it is reading very weak spine for that set-up. That arrow has a spine of .337" and your ideal spine needs to be around .286". I have found along with many others that this program is very close to spine matches but either way .337" is no where even close to .286" so it could be a good bit off and you would still have a weak spine. Also, keep in mind that you can get a perfect tear through paper with weak spine arrows and even get some decent results maybe with field points but very likely that you will have problems with fix blade broadheads. Fix blades just magnify any problem you have with spine. I will say though, at 340 fps if you can get anything to hit where your aiming it will pretty much be a mute point as far as killing a deer goes lol. But if your having trouble with flight I think the spine is the culprit. I shoot a .350" spine but I also shoot a 60 pound bow 28.5" draw length at 280 fps. My bow has a ibo speed of 333 fps but I don't come close to it because of draw weight, length and I shoot a heavier arrow. So with me shooting a .350" spine with weaker set-up I expect you to be shooting a much stiffer spine than me.

then im guessing here but if you add 100 gr. to the 350 shafts were at .437 total grain weight
and the 450 shafts with 100 gr. = .398 total grain weight right?

i just registered,and got the arrows on that site, i am thinking the same as you,there going to go fast at those savings.

No I think you have the spine confused but not sure. The spine has nothing to do with the weight other than the stiffer spine weighs more than a weaker spine of the same kind. But you get your weight by how much the GPI (Grains Per Inch) is. So no your 450's actually weigh more than then 350's because the 450's are a stiffer spine than the 350's. This is only refering to Carbon Express arrows of course. Spine is how stiff the arrow is and has to be matched to draw weight and length.

Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350s= Spine of .337" and GPI of 8.9 grains per inch

Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 450s= Spine of .298" and GPI of 9.7 grains per inch

Your ideal spine for you set up is .286"

To get arrow weight you would take GPI x arrow length. For example GPI of 8.9 grains x 28" arrow length = 249.2

Then you would add all of the compondents to that weight to get overall arrow weight.

249.2+100 (tip weight)+11 (insert)+ 12 (blazer vanes)+ 4(nock collar)+9.5(Nock)= 385.7 grains of total arrow weight.

Hope this helps.

you were not kidding,,these arrows are moving super fast,, i have 1 doz. left still for sale. thanks for the tip.

No problem. If you are getting rid of something cheap and its archery or bowhunting related it will go pretty quick on there. Another thing, if you plan on using that site in the future make sure you leave feedback and get them to leave you feedback. It makes it easier to sell big things like bows and whatnot with positive feedback.

With the set-up information you provided the carbon express 350's are weak in spine.

Let me ask you a question to make sure I am understanding your situation correctly. When you use the Maxima 350's with a fix blade broadhead you have flight issues but with a mechanical or field tip they fly okay?

Well that just indicates a tune or spine issue usually but here's the thing, if you can get your 350's to shoot where you want them with a mechanical I don't see you having a problem killing a deer with your set-up. No matter what the problem an arrow going that hard is going to go through either way. If this would be a lighter set-up like mine at lets say 60 pound draw weight or so I would not recommend just throwing a mechanical on and calling it good. Spine or tune issues will result in a less efficient energy transfer so with lighter weight set-ups it could be a problem. But in your case you will blow through a deer without an issue. I just can't see the speed being a problem with fix blades, I know a guy that shoots a custom built PSE at 114 pound draw weight and it shoots a 674 grain arrow at 349 fps with fix blades and it shoots great. But whatever you decide I hope you get everything shooting good and knock a big one down this year!

thanks chaded,for all your work,and looking things up.,, i went to carbon express and looked it up on there chart,, its calling for a 350 maxima. i double cked it. im going tomarrow with my z7magnum in tow to my local mathews dealer to see what,were the problem is. im stumpted. when paper tuned,the marks in the paper were perfect holes,,no tear right left up or down. when shot the qad is clear from vanes,nothing hitting there,so thats not it. i guess ill have to go straight to the dealer to see what we can find out. ill give you a shout sometime tomarrow even. to let you know what we find out.

Okay sounds good. I just checked and they do call for the 350's at the arrow length you said you had. Not sure if you do this already but when you shoot it through paper, make sure you shoot it through at about 6-8 paces away from the paper if you are shooting blazer vanes. I know it may or may not sound crazy but I have shot close before and got a perfect tear, then stepped back a little bit and got a perfect tear, then got to 6 paces and had a crazy tear that needed fixed. You may already do this but just wanted to throw that out there. Hope it all works out for ya.

Another problem you may be having is with nock travel. Single cams have some of the worst nock travel of any cam system. So you may be having problems with the fixed blades windplaning even if you are shooting great with field points. But I may be wrong and having it tuned may have taken care of some of that.

And by the way, as far as I can tell, chaded knows what he is talking about. All his advice he gave is spot on.
But don't let the problem of nock travel worry you too much. The 'majority' of bow hunters don't know squat about their bow, they just grab some arrows and fling 'em downrange. And some of them are amazing shots. But if a pro would look at their bows they would probably be amazed that it can even shoot straight. As they say, 'Ignorance is bliss.' :roll:

Back