Guns of the West paper cartridge kits?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVA Enthusiast

Reaction score
I have just ordered the kit that assist in making paper cartridges for the .36/.44 anyone with experience? That perhaps would like to share some knowledge I am not opposed to bad as well as good, will be heard

just remember to use Nitrated paper. Somebody makes a cotton paper I'm told is best. I only used coffee filters cut and soaked/dried but it isn't the best for handgun ctgs. Have used cigarette papers also but found them a little fragile when carrying, but they worked well in my .36 Paterson. Have used paper ctgs in the Walker also.

Photo on 2-22-21 at 2.48 PM.jpg

Last edited:
just remember to use Nitrated paper. Somebody makes a cotton paper I'm told is best. I only used coffee filters cut and soaked/dried but it isn't the best for handgun ctgs. Have used cigarette papers also but found them a little fragile when carrying, but they worked well in my .36 Paterson. Have used paper ctgs in the Walker also.

View attachment 3380
Nice collection there drax

I just ordered a .44 cal paper cartridge kit from Dustin. I also have some potassium nitrate and True Wave ordered.
I just use cigarette paper works fine for me, goes boom without the wait. Now I just do powder charges awesome job it does. I have issues loading the full load. Into the revolver. That is me not the kit

I had ordered some True Wave curler papers and tried them but I really don't care for them. So I bought some coffee filters and prefer them. This is my system for getting the filters nitrated. Soak 5-6 filters for 25-30 mins and hang in my indoor clothes lines to dry.

Attachments

• 20210803_194935.jpg
    20210803_194935.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210803_194953.jpg
    20210803_194953.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210803_195011.jpg
    20210803_195011.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Years ago we played with the idea of paper cartridges with very low success in rifles. I didn't continue on to find out why but misfireing was the problem. We used nitrated cigarette papers which we never tore before loading, maybe that was the issue. What is involved with the kit that makes it the go to unit for making the papers stay closed?

I haven't actually shot any yet. Still waiting for a .44 Walker kit. I'd look at some other posts and chat with people who have actually been able to shoot the paper cartridges.

We also used the coffee filters and made the paper cartridges for a .36 cal RB without the ntro, and they went bang every time. We're going to try with the nitro soaked coffee filter paper.

We also used the coffee filters and made the paper cartridges for a .36 cal RB without the ntro, and they went bang every time. We're going to try with the nitro soaked coffee filter paper.
I have tried the nitro paper, With my Pietta .44 Sheriff, I really see no notable difference, I like to hear your opinion.

I haven't had a chance yet to go out and actually try any loads. The regular kit for a .44 cal is set up mainly to hold 25grs so right now I'm waiting for a kit for the Walker since I want to go with 30grs of Triple7 FFF with a .454 round ball. I just figured it would be easier to shorten a paper cartridge instead of trying to lengthen one. If it all works out I'll then offer my regular .44 kit to someone for free.

I haven't had a chance yet to go out and actually try any loads. The regular kit for a .44 cal is set up mainly to hold 25grs so right now I'm waiting for a kit for the Walker since I want to go with 30grs of Triple7 FFF with a .454 round ball. I just figured it would be easier to shorten a paper cartridge instead of trying to lengthen one. If it all works out I'll then offer my regular .44 kit to someone for free.
Like my .44 like I stated I make my powder loads in the .44 kit so much easier than, trying to load 20g at a time just pop in paper cartridge seat ball

Just wanted to include my update on my Guns of the West .44 paper cartridge kit. Just finished making up 12-25gr cartridges using the kit and nitrate paper. Now just waiting for the glue stick glue to dry and then I'll melt some lube and dip the cartridges.

Attachments

• 20210813_140846.jpg
    20210813_140846.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20210813_140946.jpg
    20210813_140946.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210813_141040.jpg
    20210813_141040.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20210813_141108.jpg
    20210813_141108.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
I have been told not to hang your saturated filters from a clothes line, seems the solution drains to the bottom and concentrates there. Better to dry on a flat surface over a screen. That way it dries evenly. No experience on it, just what i read.
DL:dancing chicken:

Latest posts

Back