• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WANTED/ISO H4895 or unique for reduced loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
I probably like the rest of North America is looking for about a pound of unique or h4895 I need them for reduced loads and a 6.5 Carcano. I live in Michigan near Flint. Can anyone help? I can possibly trade or offer cash. I currently have h335 Winchester 760 accurate number 2 and little gun.

If you really get desperate you can get a pound of 4895 for about $105 shipped on Gunbroker right now.
Yeah I saw that too but I'm going to hold off. Sooner or later Williams my local gun store will have it in stock it may take some time but I'm okay with waiting. Till then I can shoot the Carcano with the powder that I bought what's the minimum recommendation.

I would have loved to have some of that powder to make reduced loads for the Vetterli. If I do find that 4895 powder I'm buying an 8 pounder if I can.

Yeah I saw that too but I'm going to hold off. Sooner or later Williams my local gun store will have it in stock it may take some time but I'm okay with waiting. Till then I can shoot the Carcano with the powder that I bought what's the minimum recommendation.

I would have loved to have some of that powder to make reduced loads for the Vetterli. If I do find that 4895 powder I'm buying an 8 pounder if I can.
If you find H4895 here in MI, let me know please. I need it for SML.

In the 90s my dad and I switched from 4895 to 2495 (in our service rifles we shot in national match competition). I've never bothered with 4895 since. You may find 2495 a suitable replacement...?
2495 has a much slower burn rate than 4895.

I'll only use proven loads.

In the 90s my dad and I switched from 4895 to 2495 (in our service rifles we shot in national match competition). I've never bothered with 4895 since. You may find 2495 a suitable replacement...?
Thanks for that info. I think that things being the way they are now with all the popular powders becoming hard to find, way over priced, or completely unavailable, it’s going to force us to start learning about what less popular comparable or equivalent powders to go after…… until the same thing happens to them.

Last edited:
As for 'much slower' burn rate.. It's the same difference between i4895 and h4895... 2495 was made to mimic them as they are both very popular. In my experience loading both in 308 for my M 14/M1a, there was no more varience between the three than what one would see when switching lots. Though 2495 and i4895 are just a tad slower (2495 is nearly identical to i4895)

In either case (switching between lots or manufacturers of similar powders) its typically best to reduce the load 10% and work back up when reloading. That said I'm not a smokeless ML guy.

I'm confident that a casual search of reloading forums will confirm the pressure curves being nearly identical.

As for 'much slower' burn rate.. It's the same difference between i4895 and h4895... 2495 was made to mimic them as they are both very popular. In my experience loading both in 308 for my M 14/M1a, there was no more varience between the three than what one would see when switching lots. Though 2495 and i4895 are just a tad slower (2495 is nearly identical to i4895)

In either case (switching between lots or manufacturers of similar powders) its typically best to reduce the load 10% and work back up when reloading. That said I'm not a smokeless ML guy.

I'm confident that a casual search of reloading forums will confirm the pressure curves being nearly identical.
Thank you

As a SML shooter, the first thing one should understand is that you NEVER substitute any propellant for another. I'll be shooting heavy 350gr bullets with the H4895 and I have exactly 4 grs to play with.
No disrespect intended but, I'll only take the advice of those who've shot SML for years, and who know what propellants work with each weight bullet.
This is muzzleloading and not cartridge loading.

I agree there's a ton of information and misinformation on the internet.

Just because bubba got the powder to work once without his rifle blowing up doesn't necessarily mean that it's safe to do for continuous use.

Just because the rumor goes around that IMR 4895 is the same as h 4895 doesn't mean it's true. Matter fact for every post that says one way I'll probably be able to find the post that says the opposite.

The only way to be sure is to use published load data and not substitute powders at all.

Ugh...

OP is asking for powder to reload his 6.5 Carcano... said he liked 4895.

I pointed out 2495 is available... and it is nearly the same... made to be a H4895 competitor.

I've found 6.5 carcano load data for both powders... And they have nearly identical weights.

I've personally used it to emulate lake city match ammo... Both using h4895 and 2495. As has thousands of others who shoot national matches.

Its a viable alternative for anyone who practices standard reloading techniques.

Ugh...

OP is asking for powder to reload his 6.5 Carcano... said he liked 4895.

I pointed out 2495 is available... and it is nearly the same... made to be a H4895 competitor.

I've found 6.5 carcano load data for both powders... And they have nearly identical weights.

I've personally used it to emulate lake city match ammo... Both using h4895 and 2495. As has thousands of others who shoot national matches.

Its a viable alternative for anyone who practices standard reloading techniques.
Much appreciated

I live in Arkansas. I have seen unique in 8 pd kegs lately. Haven't seen any H4895. I shoot that in my 204 ruger. Glad i bought up enough too do me a long time. I bought it back when powder was 28.00 a can.

Back