Hardness testers, fishing weights and sabots.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
So just for kicks I bought a bullet casting mold for .45 to make some cast bullets for my muzzle loader and possibly my .45 acp pistol.

For my muzzle loader they will be in crush rib black sabots shot out of a CVA wolf .50 cal.

My question is do I really, absolutely need a lead tester? Particularly since they will never engage the rifling. Can I just use my thumb nail?

Also, I just purchased about 10 pounds of old fishing weights is this a decent source?

Finally, if I use this type of lead for .45 acp in a powder puff load will it be ok?

I don't have a melt pot I do have a cast iron pot and plan to use a hotplate outside to melt the lead and a ladle to pour the lead. I do have a wooden "hammer" for the mold.

My uncle used to make fishing weights by melting lead. He would made a small hole in the dirt. He would then cut up a coat hanger and make a loop with a long tail. The tail went in the hole with the loop above ground level. As soon as the lead was molten he would pour it into the holes and wait for them to cool. Once cool he would pull them out of the dirt by the loop and clip the straight side of the coat hanger piece he stuck in the hole. Viola a cheap fishing weight.

Back to projectile casting... I just can't help but feel like they did not have all this crap in the old days when casting bullets was the ONLY way.

Last edited:
Since youre using sabots and just shooting targets, i dont see any reason to worry about hardness. Good cheap way to work up some loads. If youre hunting with them i prefer soft lead and slower loads for best performance. Probably you’ll want them harder for the acp, tho, use good lube and watch for barrel leading. Although with powder puff loads it may not make a diff how hard they are.

So just for kicks I bought a bullet casting mold for .45 to make some cast bullets for my muzzle loader and possibly my .45 acp pistol.

For my muzzle loader they will be in crush rib black sabots shot out of a CVA wolf .50 cal.

My question is do I really, absolutely need a lead tester? Particularly since they will never engage the rifling. Can I just use my thumb nail?

Also, I just purchased about 10 pounds of old fishing weights is this a decent source?

Finally, if I use this type of lead for .45 acp in a powder puff load will it be ok?

I don't have a melt pot I do have a cast iron pot and plan to use a hotplate outside to melt the lead and a ladle to pour the lead. I do have a wooden "hammer" for the mold.

My uncle used to make fishing weights by melting lead. He would made a small hole in the dirt. He would then cut up a coat hanger and make a loop with a long tail. The tail went in the hole with the loop above ground level. As soon as the lead was molten he would pour it into the holes and wait for them to cool. Once cool he would pull them out of the dirt by the loop and clip the straight side of the coat hanger piece he stuck in the hole. Viola a cheap fishing weight.

Back to projectile casting... I just can't help but feel like they did not have all this crap in the old days when casting bullets was the ONLY way.
Your right and a lot couldn't hit the broadside of a barn (locked inside) !!!!!!!!!!!! And yes get a Lee tester cheap and does the job ,cast for muzzys is pure lead/alloyed works but what ratio is why the tester is needed /Ed

Personally I don’t think you need a lead tester but fishing sinkers, especially if they aren’t factory made, could be anything. It seems like I read somewhere about using drawing pencils to test lead hardness?
I cast sinkers, jigs and bullets and balls and I use scrap lead flashing which is pretty soft.

Personally I don’t think you need a lead tester but fishing sinkers, especially if they aren’t factory made, could be anything. It seems like I read somewhere about using drawing pencils to test lead hardness?
I cast sinkers, jigs and bullets and balls and I use scrap lead flashing which is pretty soft.
Only works when you know the source ,if not you need the tester ! Not knowing the BHN # can screw up your hunt or your target . Too soft with a conical and it comes off the powder ,to hard and it gets gas blowby . Not rocket science just fact . If using a bag mold and your soup spoon for a ladle over a camp fire I'd shoot with you anytime but I favor accuracy more than most/Ed

Brass bullets shot in sabots are harder than any lead..
Cast, load and go have some fun.

Back