Harvester Crush Rib sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Harvester Crush Ribs were designed for easier loading. The only thing that would make them better than a regular sabot would be if they loaded easier and shot better in your gun.

Are Harvester Crush Rib sabots better than regular sabots?

Marc - better? not really. Just a different thickness is all.

They can actually work against accuracy. What they were made for is because there is no bore standard in muzzleloaders. What might fit just right in the bore of a T/C might break a ramrod in a CVA, or Knight. There was no way to purchase sabot/projectile combinations and know they would load and shoot well until you try them.

For instance, I bought some Hornady SST's with sabots. Trying to load them in my Black Diamond XR, I broke a short starter just getting them into the barrel and was real worried I was not going to be able to even seat the projecitle, the fit was that tight. Turned around and purchased T/C Shockwaves, which are the same bullet but thinner sabot, and they loaded perfect. Then I bought some of the T/C E-Z glide Shockwaves. They loaded real easy. While the accuracy was still good, the additional cost was not needed compared to the T/C original Shockwave.

If you buy projectiles and find them hard to load, switch the sabot out for a Harvester Crushed Rib, E-Z Glide, MMP HPH-24 or an MMP Three Petal sabot and normally the hard loading projectile will load much better for you.

We do not want the sabots too loose as pressure then has a "chance" of slipping past the sabot, but then again no one wants to pound the ramrod down the bore with a stick (which I have been forced to do) when you load.

Back