Harvester smooth vs crushed rib sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickAz1

Reaction score
Went to the range this morning to compare the harvester crushed rib sabots to the smooth, which is all I have used so far.  I settled on the Harvester PT Gold 300 gr. for my projectile. Seems to out perform the 260's for me, but load quite hard with the smooth sabots.  I was suprised to find how easy the crushed rib load.  Almost no effort.  Previously sighted in with the 300's and 110 gr BH 209.  Decided to try 100 grains to see any difference.  Wife got tired of seeing scope mark on my nose.  (It's only happened twice.)  Maybe I should invest in a sled.

8:30 am, 68 degrees, 14% humidity, no wind.
CVA Optima SS with Bushnell DOA 250 3x9x40.
BH 209 - 100 gr by volume
PT gold 300's
5-10 minutes between shots.

300grS_100y10142014_zps7aa654e2.jpg

100 yards, 3 shots using smooth sabots.  3rd shot right was probably me.

300grCR_100y10142014_zpsfa913b03.jpg

100 yards, 3 shots with crushed rib sabots.   

3 weeks ago, before our temps cooled down I was out at 9:30 am.  99 degrees with 9 % humidity.  Fired the 3 shot group below with 300 pt golds, 110 grains bh 209.  In cooler temps that load is right on the bull.  You can see the difference 30 degrees can make.  Again at 100 yards.

ML100yds100114_zpsae709b5d.jpg

Really like the ease of loading with the crushed rib and see no real difference in performance in my gun.  Pretty new to muzzleloading but have learned a lot from this forum.  You guys have been a great source.  

Rick

That's some great groups :!: :!: :!: I tried both of those sabots and I shot the PT GOLD 260 and 300's. The 260's for me was really accurate. I was shooting the CVA V2 and the MR.
I stayed with the smooth sabot because they were a little tighter going down the barrel and IMHO, I thought maybe it built up a little more pressure then the crusher sabots.
Good luck :!: 

Ray.......... :Red tup:

Hey Ray,
I put a lot of 260's down range when I first started in January with the smooth sabots.  No problem loading those.  Tight, but not too.  When I went to the 300's they were much harder to load, don't know why.  My last order thought I would try the crushed ribs with the 300's.  I was a little concerned because they were so easy to load.  After my ML deer hunt later this month I will start playing with the 260's again now that I have more time on this gun and will probably use the smooths for those.  I felt the same as you.  Any excuse to to get out and shoot. 

Rick

Great shooting, That would put a hurt on something. My Optima liked the CR better also with the PT GOLDS or the SST's, 
There was a change on the targets from the weather, but also the tighter group when shooting 110 gr compared to 100 gr. They all looked great.

Dave

Rick,

Did you use the black crush rib sabot or the red? I tried the red with 300 gr. PT Golds in my Savage ML10 and it was very hard to get down the barrel but the black slid down almost too easily.

Is there a sabot that is in between in thickness? I think that would be ideal for that bullet in my gun.

wow Rick, I'd say you've got a shooter there! Fantastic shooting would be an understatement!

Bob the smooth black is between them. 

Good shooting Rick, Ive used both the 260&300 with both sabots and my gun likes the 300 and smooth. Shooting is the only way to find out though.

Bob,  sorry I didnt get back to you last night.  I was using black crushed ribs.  Done a little work at 200 yds, the 300 gr seem a little more consistent past 100 but I  still need work.  Trying to find the right load that works best with my scope reticle.

I'm surprised you're hitting yourself with that scope. It's got 5" of eye relief. I just put one on my gun, but haven't shot it yet.

It's at 6x most of the time and the eye relief is there, just me getting too close if I'm not paying attention. Only happened a couple times and not hard. Just enough to remind me to back off a bit.

Good shooting What primers are you using I might have missed that????
thanks
Martin LOADER

RickAz said:
Went to the range this morning to compare the harvester crushed rib sabots to the smooth, which is all I have used so far.  I settled on the Harvester PT Gold 300 gr. for my projectile. Seems to out perform the 260's for me, but load quite hard with the smooth sabots.  I was suprised to find how easy the crushed rib load.  Almost no effort.  Previously sighted in with the 300's and 110 gr BH 209.  Decided to try 100 grains to see any difference.  Wife got tired of seeing scope mark on my nose.  (It's only happened twice.)  Maybe I should invest in a sled.

8:30 am, 68 degrees, 14% humidity, no wind.
CVA Optima SS with Bushnell DOA 250 3x9x40.
BH 209 - 100 gr by volume
PT gold 300's
5-10 minutes between shots.

300grS_100y10142014_zps7aa654e2.jpg

100 yards, 3 shots using smooth sabots.  3rd shot right was probably me.

300grCR_100y10142014_zpsfa913b03.jpg

100 yards, 3 shots with crushed rib sabots.   

3 weeks ago, before our temps cooled down I was out at 9:30 am.  99 degrees with 9 % humidity.  Fired the 3 shot group below with 300 pt golds, 110 grains bh 209.  In cooler temps that load is right on the bull.  You can see the difference 30 degrees can make.  Again at 100 yards.

ML100yds100114_zpsae709b5d.jpg

Really like the ease of loading with the crushed rib and see no real difference in performance in my gun.  Pretty new to muzzleloading but have learned a lot from this forum.  You guys have been a great source.  

Rick
:scratch::scratch::scratch:  Scope marks on your nose, sounds like your looking cross eye thru your scope. :lol!: :ss:

I wouldn't have thought temp can move the POI that much. Something to consider from now on.

With centerfire ammo a safe load at 70 deg. can show flattened primers and ejector imprints on the case at 93 deg. The pressure goes way up with some powders when it's really hot out.

I does make a difference Hunting in Delaware the temp varies from cold, to not so cold, to warm. So I try to see just where my groups are with the temperature variation in mind it's mind boggling. I try to sight in on a cold barrel and I swab between shots with a dry patch. I then clean the barrel very good and shoot to see exactly where my bullet goes then I make final adjustments because hunting will be with a clean barrel most often.

Back