Have Run Out of Elevation with Leupold VX5-HD 4-20x52

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just received my new smokeless .45 buil this week and I was excited to top it off with my new Leupold scope and get it dialed in. At 100 yrds I seem to be stuck about 8 inches high and I can't dial it down any further. I decided to get high Seekins rings because I knew the objective would be close to the barrel (sits about 5mm off the barrel at the lowest point). The approximate distance from the middle of the scope tube to the middle of the barrel is 60mm. I am not an optics expert, but I have always been able to set my scopes up without much difficulty. I lap the rings, use a leveling system, and head out to get zeroed in. Any advice from those who know better than myself would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You used up 2 complete revolutions of adjustment, and you are still 8" high? It sounds like you need to shim the bases.

I had a similar situation. With a suggestion from another member from here, they suggested reversing the rings, set adjustments back to zero another words set the adjustments to the middle of the elevation adjustments. Then remount and see if that’s helps.

I had a similar situation. With a suggestion from another member from here, they suggested reversing the rings, set adjustments back to zero another words set the adjustments to the middle of the elevation adjustments. Then remount and see if that’s helps.
This is what I was thinking about doing. Something I found interesting was that the elevation was already dialed all the way down as soon as I tried to adjust it. I also noticed it was supposed to have 3 set screws on the top dial to hold on the elevation cover and it only had one. Not sure what's up.

Have you tried the mirror method to optically center a scope? If no, maybe give it a try to see if the crosshair is moving correctly.
I will look this up, but I know that when I intentionally adjusted to move my point of aim up a certain number of clicks, the bullet went precisely where it should have. That was simply to see if the point of impact adjusted accordingly, which it did.

I think you have a zero lock on that scope. If so, read the manual and adjust it.
Yeah, I do and read the manual several times. It basically just tells me to remove the set screws so I can then remove the cap to reset the zero mark once I have it zeroed. It doesn't really have anything to do with the ability to adjust the dial. Last night I reset the scope to "factory zero". There are 150 total "clicks" of adjustment, so I went all the way up, and then went down 75 clicks. I will remove the scope and reinstall tonight, but I really doubt that will do much good. I don't understand what is causing the problem since the bell of the objective is almost touching the barrel now. I can't get lower rings or else it will hit the barrel of the gun.

Update- just got off the phone with Leupold and they provided me with information that is not in the manual: They apparently ship this scope with it set in the middle of its range (which is normal), but I have to remove the elevation cap and adjust it down using a screw driver. I would not need to do this if I was adjusting my point of aim up, but need to do it if adjusting down. The rep said the "mechanical stop" prevents the downward adjustment initially, thus I must take off the cap to adjust point of aim down. Have any of you heard of this before??

The problem with the Burris Signature Zee Rings is they only come in 1" for offset. Most like to 30 mm or larger tubes these days. I use these almost exclusively, but I am old school still buying scopes with 1" tubes.

I recently bought one of their HD scopes with that zero lock feature. It's a bit of a pain to get it adjusted initially but not a real big deal. Mine had 2 set screws holding the cap tight, not 3, and when removed there's a hex head adjustor without any screw slots. I used a nut driver. Everything seems fine now.

I recently bought one of their HD scopes with that zero lock feature. It's a bit of a pain to get it adjusted initially but not a real big deal. Mine had 2 set screws holding the cap tight, not 3, and when removed there's a hex head adjustor without any screw slots. I used a nut driver. Everything seems fine now.
Mine only had the one set screw (Leupold is sending me 3 more). When I take off my elevation turret it appears I just need to use a flat head screw driver to make my adjustments. I haven't gotten the opportunity to get back out there since Sunday, but hoping to get it zeroed no later than this weekend. With two teenage daughters in 4 different sports (softball never ends) my days are almost always packed to the brim.

Glad Leupold informed you about how to adjust the scope.
Update- just got off the phone with Leupold and they provided me with information that is not in the manual: They apparently ship this scope with it set in the middle of its range (which is normal), but I have to remove the elevation cap and adjust it down using a screw driver. I would not need to do this if I was adjusting my point of aim up, but need to do it if adjusting down. The rep said the "mechanical stop" prevents the downward adjustment initially, thus I must take off the cap to adjust point of aim down. Have any of you heard of this before??

Back