Hawgslayer got me fired up!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
Hawgslayer got me fired up getting his .58 ready so I decided I'm going shootin' this Saturday and see how my .54 cal performs.  This is my CVA Hawken, 1" across the flats with a 1:66 round ball twist barrel.  Jon got it all tuned up for me a while back so I'm going to make some smoke this weekend.

DSCN1333_zpssqxhlh6v.jpg

Aint nothin like gettin a 58 tuned up. I love all of mine and want more. Al

Have a great time Joe. She's a beauty. Say Joe, I get good results with OE 2F powder. I used Goex from the start and then tried a can of OE and now that's all I use. When I spoke to Jonathan and I think the " bar hunter " chimed in on it and they both said it was good powder, a little hotter and a little cleaner. You can cut your powder charge down also. I went from 80/85 grains of Goex to 75 grains of OE and got good results. Last Saturday I shot 20 rounds and if I remember correctly I used only 7 patches and Windex to clean the barrel.............Good Luck

Ray............

Thanks Ray,  I still have a couple pounds of Goex 2F left but when that runs low I'll head over to Track of the Wolf and pick up some OE.  Thanks for the advice!  Currently I load up the .58 flinter with 90 gr. of 2F (4F in the pan).  This weekend, for the .54, I loaded up some lanes tubes with with 70 gr. of 2F.

Latest posts

Back