Mk85 54cal load info

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizz12

Reaction score
I recently got a mk85 in 54 cal and it’s hard enough finding accessories for it much less load info. Knight has a min charge of $45 just for shipping to Alaska so I’m also looking around for a supplier that is interested in shipping to Alaska

I have number 11 caps, .530 balls and pyrodex 2F. I’ll pick up some patches in a few days. This is stuff I found around town that will at the very least get me to the range for some fun

It’s a 1/28 twist so where do I start with a usable recipe? I’m pretty sure the balls will not be the most accurate but at least I’ll get to play for a little while until I find a mold that works for my rifle and pour my own

I have a LK-93 in a 54 I am just getting prepped for shooting this winter. Very similar guns.

Ill be using musket caps and T7. My bullet to start with will be the Barnes 325 grain Expander. Ill start with 100 grains by volume and move up 5 grains at a time til I get the accuracy I desire. The T7 data shows 120 grain max but I hope not to shoot that much powder. Or maybe Ill move down 5 grains at a time. Make life easier for my shoulder. 😂

You could consider No Excuses lead bullets in 485 and 525 grains for the critters you encounter. Im shooting whitetails so 325 Expander should be plenty
A cardboard or veggy wad between the powder and bullet from no excuses.

Sorry, wish I could give you an answer. It is pretty well accepted that no two guns (from the same manufacturer, made one after the other) will shoot the same load the same. Each gun is an individual unto itself. The only way to know is to start with some loads and shoot them. Start with powder, and primers you have or want to use and put a bullet on top that you have or one that you want to use. If you don't get the accuracy you desire switch one of the components and start over. If you have Pyrodex and have #11 caps find a bullet or bullet sabot combination that suits your need and start with an appropriate amount of powder for the game you hunt or the targets you shoot. Maybe 60 grains or less for targets and 60 grains or more for deer. In your case if you intend to shoot moose or bear I would use maybe 80 grains or more. By volume that is. Just my thought.

Keep in mind that all the powder in the world is useless if your gun is not accurate. So let accuracy be your guide not power. If you get accuracy but think you do not have enough power for the game you hunt then switch out one of the components and start over. A 400 grain bullet even at slow velocity is a force to recon with. No matter what any book says.

Hope Im not clouding your question. Just like the rest of us you need to experiment or research. It is an enjoyable time to learn the personality of your gun. Maybe keep a few notes on paper.

Trying my best here.

Sorry, wish I could give you an answer. It is pretty well accepted that no two guns (from the same manufacturer, made one after the other) will shoot the same load the same. Each gun is an individual unto itself. The only way to know is to start with some loads and shoot them. Start with powder, and primers you have or want to use and put a bullet on top that you have or one that you want to use. If you don't get the accuracy you desire switch one of the components and start over. If you have Pyrodex and have #11 caps find a bullet or bullet sabot combination that suits your need and start with an appropriate amount of powder for the game you hunt or the targets you shoot. Maybe 60 grains or less for targets and 60 grains or more for deer. In your case if you intend to shoot moose or bear I would use maybe 80 grains or more. By volume that is. Just my thought.

Keep in mind that all the powder in the world is useless if your gun is not accurate. So let accuracy be your guide not power. If you get accuracy but think you do not have enough power for the game you hunt then switch out one of the components and start over. A 400 grain bullet even at slow velocity is a force to recon with. No matter what any book says.

Hope Im not clouding your question. Just like the rest of us you need to experiment or research. It is an enjoyable time to learn the personality of your gun. Maybe keep a few notes on paper.

Trying my best here.

This is well-stated and I couldn't agree more.

Trying my best here.
I'm looking for a starting point and can play from there. But if someone has has great results with a certain recipe then that would be a good start too.

Back