Hello And Happy New Year

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I am Paul, just recently joined this website. Many years ago I bought a used Traditions Buckhunter In-Line .50 Caliber Pistol
The barrel is stamped Made In Spain, Old Saybrook,CT. U.S.A. I had all the intentions of learning how to shoot this pistol, but
never got around to even getting any ammo for it. Does any one else have one like this? Can you tell me approximately how old
it might be, what it might be worth? It came with a round wooden ball bullet starter and a soft leather cowhide holster.
There are rumours flying here in upstate New York that next year they may be extending the muzzleloader season to the end of
January, like on Long Island and that has renewed my interest in muzzleloading hunting.

I dont own one of those in .50 but am trying to get one in .45. So no advice except that it may be better suited to bullets instead of round balls, based on what info Ive been able to find. I do have a .50 inline CVA. I shoot 200& 250grain saboted bullets on 70grains Volume of BH209. It is a plenty stout load for me and i know it will kill deer to 50 yards, but have not done it yet. I have heard that the older Buckhunter .50s had a 1:32 twist and newer ones had 1:28 twist. Best accuracy often fell between 25-50grn of Pyrodex and max load is 80 grains per Traditions. But i dont know when they were actually made. I think prices for one are falling between $100-$250 for these guns when they come up for sale, which is not often, as they werent well thought of and not a lot were made. You should shoot it some.. I think youll enjoy it a lot.

Hi and thanks for your reply, I need to find a gun shop that knows about the pistol so I can get some advice on what I need to do to shoot it.
Thanks for your input and suggestions, as I will take your stats with me when I go to the gun store.

Back