Hello from Maine

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfox

Reaction score
Hello from Maine! I am retired, 74 and just getting into muzzle loading. Have regular season hunting friends that have talked me into trying it. I have hunted for over 60 years, so this should be a fun experience

After a lot of research I have ordered a T/C Impact Camo/Weathershield and a 3-10 scope. I wanted to stay on low cost end to start with. As for loads, it looks like I will be using Blackhorn 209 along with either Hornady SST-ML High-Speed Low-Drag Sabots 250 gr or (expensive though) Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ Sabots 250 gr.

Looking for any help you guys/gals could give me on whatever you think would help. Looks like a great forum,...looking forward to your replies

welcome to the forum.

You picked a good rifle from all I have read. Keep us posted as to your results.

cayuga said:
welcome to the forum.

You picked a good rifle from all I have read. Keep us posted as to your results.

Thanks Cayuga...looking forward to getting into this

Welcome, I have the same rifle. It's been a great shooter so far but I have not shot any loads larger than 60gr of BH209 powder thru it yet, it's setup for my younger son. He uses Barnes 250 TMZs but I have read many good reviews on the SSTs. I'm not a fan of easy load sabots but if they shoot good, thats all that matters, if the low drag don't group well, try some of the SSTs that come with the black sabots.

BuckDoeHunter said:
Welcome, I have the same rifle. It's been a great shooter so far but I have not shot any loads larger than 60gr of BH209 powder thru it yet, it's setup for my younger son. He uses Barnes 250 TMZs but I have read many good reviews on the SSTs. I'm not a fan of easy load sabots but if they shoot good, thats all that matters, if the low drag don't group well, try some of the SSTs that come with the black sabots.

Thanks for your thoughts BDH...it will be an ongoing trial and error to find the right combo. I'm just going by what I have read....stilll a novice at this

:)

Great to have you with us :!: WELCOME TO THE CLAN :!: :!:

Ray........... :wink:

welcome fellow mainer. Lots of good info can be found here. Lots of nice people too

Latest posts

Back