Hello from Snowy Montana

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stooby

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am creeping the forum, for muzzleloading tips and tricks. I am new to muzzleloading due to there now being a heritage muzzleloading season in Montana. Currently just bought a new .50 percussion traditions. Looking for load ideas Hornady 385gr great plains, Pyrodex powder, enough power to take either elk or deer. Also ideas on keeping the gun dry and clean during a winter storm.

thanks

Welcome. I live in PA and we have a flintlock season that runs from the day after Christmas to late January. The weather can be from shirtsleeve warm to downright frigid. Snow from the dry fluffy kind to a heavy wet snow and sometimes sleet or misty rain. You can buy commercial lock covers to keep your pan, or in your case, cap dry but I just use a heavy cloth about 8-10" square that I coat both sides with Camp Dry (silicon spray) I do that well before the season so the odor dissapates. An old Chamois shirt is great. Just drape it over the lock and secure with a rubber band.. A quick tug and it will come right off. As for the muzzle, nothing more than electrical tape is needed. One piece across the muzzle and then another wrapped around the barrel to hold it in place.
Or if you're like me an up in age (approaching 70) you can just stay home until the weather breaks....LOL
As for loads that's a hard one. Each muzzleloader is different as to what it likes best. But with that heavy conical you can start with 70 gr of FFg and work your way up. You shouldn't need to go more than 100 gr to find your best accuracy. My guess is that it would be somewhere around 80 gr.

Welcome from the Hoosier State!

As @bronko220002 stated, you can keep your powder dry with a piece of tape across the muzzle. You can also use a gun condom or finger cot. No need to remove either, they will blow off when you shoot. You can keep your cap dry with a bit of cling film wrapped around the breech. You can shoot with it still in place. Give it a try at the range.

I've hunted in downpours and heavy snow. My rifle went bang when the chance came.

The Great Plains is a good bullet. I shoot 80 grains Pyrodex RS. It's very accurate. I have only hunted white-tailed deer, but that load whacks them hard. You need to try some different loads to learn what your rifle likes. Mine is very accurate with 80 gr, but all over the target with 90 gr. It's back on at 100 grains. Use what it likes.

Welcome from Michigan.

For the 30 years I used my sidelock I would use a little crisco around the nipple/cap to seal it. The tape over the muzzle is pretty good advice too. Its heart breaking to take your nice sidelock out in the foul weather. But some days you got to do what you got to do. Once you get home get it all cleaned up and let it dry out. Surprisingly there will be no damage. The real damage is in our imagination.

Latest posts

Back