Hello from WiscOOnsin

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Chadman. What kind of ML are you leaning towards, if any, at the moment?
A woodman arms patriot for deer was going to go with the .45 caliber which is offered with 1:18 and 1:24 twist . I’m a little unsure which one. They’re both priced the same so been trying to get some opinions on which one. Sounds like the 1:18 is the better all around especially if I take it out west for longer shots if I ever get efficiant enough at longer ranges

A woodman arms patriot for deer was going to go with the .45 caliber which is offered with 1:18 and 1:24 twist . I’m a little unsure which one. They’re both priced the same so been trying to get some opinions on which one. Sounds like the 1:18 is the better all around especially if I take it out west for longer shots if I ever get efficiant enough at longer ranges
I have several 1:20" twist guns and am super happy with them all. But when i get a Woodman Patriot it is going to have the 1:18" barrel, for sure.

Welcome from Iowa. Starting off with the Woodman .45 makes me think you've done your homework. What part of Wisconsin are you from? I use to go to Prairie De Chien all the time.

Welcome from Iowa. Starting off with the Woodman .45 makes me think you've done your homework. What part of Wisconsin are you from? I use to go to Prairie De Chien all the time.
I’m from Waupun but gun hunt up in the north woods on public but I also jump some nice deer while pheasant hunting around home during the muzzleloader season and there isn’t really anyone out there at that time otherwise I wouldn’t be running my dog. And yes when I decide to buy something I research the heck out of it usually starting with one in mind and ending up with something totally different

Welcome aboard! As a suggestion while you're early in the process, start looking for primers. They've been in mighty short supply, likewise some of the gun powders.

Yes, welcome- you are in the right place. I don't own a Woodman but I hear great things-highly reputable. You will spend just a bit more than if you purchased a CVA or a Traditions, but you are getting much more (not that there is anything wrong with CVA or Traditions- have/do own them and they work quite well). You will have a great deal of fun working with bullet/primer/powder combinations once you eventually choose and receive your rifle. I personally like Triple Seven powder, but most will tell you Blackhorn. All powders, including traditional black powder will get the job done. Your choice of bullet/sabot (if using a sabot) will be the biggest factors involved. Sounds like you want a fast twist (good idea), which will allow a must better bullet in regard to BC (ballistic coefficient)- more speed and flatter trajectory. But I'm guessing you already know that. Experiment with tons of combinations and find the one that works best with your rifle. For whatever reason I have to use a different bullet/sabot combination with all my in-line muzzleloaders.

Back